Any TBH’ers Do Home Remodels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any TBH’ers Do Home Remodels?

Question on an interior wall that’s bricked. It separates kitchen & living room. Approximately 16 linear feet, floor to ceiling 7&1/2 to 8 ft and is brick facing on both kitchen & living room side. It’s possible it’s load bearing.
    What’s estimated cost to demo & add load bearing columns/posts but to open this up? Living space suffers on dimensions on this layout & with this interior wall.
    Any need for an engineer on load bearing assessment & added support?

TTT for the morning crowd

Comment

Sledgehammer, jack, screw gun. What could go wrong?

Comment

Professionally or DIY?

Comment

Id have a structural engineer look at it and give a verbal...probably save $100 or so.

Cost is gonna depend on area cost of living and labor market.
          Id demo that wall too and put up some steel posts...my kids would be swinging like monkeys from it. The posts should only be a couple hundred for the welder...given dimensions. All youd need would be a footer plate to secure to foundation and L bracket at top to fasten to ceiling joist.

Demo: $300
          Trash Haul: $300
          Engineer: $300
          Welder: $300
          Drywall: $500-$700
          Paint: $300

Big ballparks...market dependent.

Good luck on the remodel MrHogHunter. I think your house was built when builders were coming off coke highs of the 70s...guessing early 80s?

Comment

Interior brick is most likely not load bearing ... unless the wall was at one time an outside wall.

Crawl up in the attic. If your ceiling joists run parallel to the brick wall, it's not load bearing.

If the ceiling joists run perpendicular to the brick wall, the studs within the brick (if there are any) could likely be load bearing. At this point you'd need to get a knowledgeable contractor or structural engineer to look at it.

Comment

It’s not my current home. Potential investment property. Just trying to gauge a ballpark estimate professionally to demo out wall to open up the floor plan with kitchen & living area. If it’s not load bearing any idea cost to demo, repair flooring, ceiling along this area?

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                It’s not my current home. Potential investment property. Just trying to gauge a ballpark estimate professionally to demo out wall to open up the floor plan with kitchen & living area. If it’s not load bearing any idea cost to demo, repair flooring, ceiling along this area?
                Can you post up some pics?

Is the brick cinderblock or regular cosmetic brick? I cant see it being load bearing at all if it is cosmetic brick. You never know till ya look.

Either way it can be fixed but there is no way to get a ballpark price idea without knowing exactly what your problem is.

Like as has been said go in the attic and take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  Define repair flooring? Any electrical in wall?

If you hodge podge, 3 or more types of, flooring...it looks like poo. Often all needs to go...which then makes flooring simple....but significantly costs more.

If wall foot print is surrounded by carpet...cheap replacement of all carpet. If wall foot print is surrounded by tile...replace all tile.

Ill wager wall divides carpet and tile. Popcorn acoustic ceiling. 7k ballpark

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                    Define repair flooring? Any electrical in wall?

If you hodge podge, 3 or more types of, flooring...it looks like poo. Often all needs to go...which then makes flooring simple....but significantly costs more.

If wall foot print is surrounded by carpet...cheap replacement of all carpet. If wall foot print is surrounded by tile...replace all tile.

Ill wager wall divides carpet and tile. Popcorn acoustic ceiling. 7k ballpark
                    Referring to baseplate removal & any chip out of concrete that just needs fill
                    Yeah I’m separately factoring flooring. I believe there is some electrical

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                      Can you post up some pics?

Is the brick cinderblock or regular cosmetic brick? I cant see it being load bearing at all if it is cosmetic brick. You never know till ya look.

Either way it can be fixed but there is no way to get a ballpark price idea without knowing exactly what your problem is.

Like as has been said go in the attic and take a look.
                      It’s not so much a problem but rather taking wall out to open up floor plan for space. Interior wall squeezes living space. Living space has more length than it does width due to wall.
                      It’s normal brick (exterior style). Older house. I do know joist run perpendicular to this interior wall

Comment

If you take out the wall ,how many feet will the new room be?

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                          If you take out the wall ,how many feet will the new room be?
                          I’m guessing 20x30 excluding u-shape kitchen layout of 8x12 roughly. The wall creates a narrow or restricted space across from entry & exterior wall. Not a lot of space when arranging furniture, TV, etc
                          Taking this wall out will allow some of kitchen/dining area to be absorbed into the more open living area. Also, adds appeal of more modern open floor plan & more natural lighting for the now larger open area.
                          Just trying to factor initial purchase plus demo & repair
                          Thanks

Comment

It is possible the brick is just a facing and is attached to a drywall faced wall.

Without seeing pictures it's hard to guess.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is the only picture I have
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X