Help with purchase on rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm looking into getting a rifle.. Either a .17 HMR or a good deer rifle! What would y'all recommend. Have 200$ gift card to cabelas so that's where I'll be doing my shopping! Any advice would be great thanks!

Are you looking to only spend the $200?

Comment

No sir prob a limit of 350.

Comment

Ruger American, just picked one up and I am very happy/surprised how much I like it. Had $325 in gift cards and left without pulling out my debit card!

Edit: I purchased this rifle for my nephew but I like it enough I may keep it for bad weather days.
        Last edited by UncleBubba; 01-01-2014, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Since deer season is about over I'd buy a17. You'll have a whole year to get a deer rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrellS View Post
            Since deer season is about over I'd buy a17. You'll have a whole year to get a deer rifle.
            That's kind of what im thinking. Have tons of hogs and coons that need to go on our place. Any specific kind of .17?

Comment

In that price range just get the savage.

Comment

Ive been happy with my Marlin.

Comment

Ok cool thanks! any of y'all shot pigs with one? It have to be a head shot to knock one down?

Comment

A 223 or 22-250 would be better for head-popping hogs.

Comment

I recently got a Marlin XT17VR that I'm very happy with. A great rifle and it easily fits your budget

Comment

I've seen plenty of pigs taken down with a .17 to the noggin.

This is the Savage I want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388638168.427325.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	24276218

Skinny

Comment

That little gun is sweet skinny! I may have to fork out a little extra cha Ching but looks like it would be worth it!

Comment

I love a 17hmr, savage bull barrel. It's murder on coons, squirrels etc. But, for hogs, i would go bigger. I shot a small sow, maybe 50lbs at the most once a few years ago. She was in a trailer after being trapped, so i was only about 10 feet away from her and put the bullet right on the "x" of her forehead. She squealed and snapped her jaws and generally just went nuts in that trailer. I had to shoot her two more times to put her down. That's fine in a trailer or trap, but out in the open, she would have just been a wounded and very mad hog.

Comment

Have you thought about a 22WMR? Cabelas has Savages for $300 in 17HMR, 22WMR and22LR

Comment

Working...
                              X