No announcement yet.

Concrete smoker/grill help/tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why wouldn't you put your fire box on the end or did I look at it wrong. Go big

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Why wouldn't you put your fire box on the end or did I look at it wrong. Go big
      Because I wanted the chimney at the end

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I always work with the idea of my smoke chamber being 50% bigger than my firebox. I built a cinder block smoker a few years ago, made the smoke chamber 5 blocks high and the firebox 3 blocks high. The orientation is very important too, as I found out the hard way haha, you want something like that to be able to draft a suitable airflow I always try to orientate it with the normal wind pattern. Love those type of pits, can't wait to see the finished product

Edit: I had designed mine to use a homemade rotisserie I made with a small electric motor, for whole hogs and whatnot. Just a thought for you moving forward.
          Last edited by GatorBait; 03-12-2018, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Is there any special type of cement/concrete that is used that wont crack with heat for the slab?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
              Is there any special type of cement/concrete that is used that wont crack with heat for the slab?

Easiest thing to do is line it with firebrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SKLOSS View Post
                Easiest thing to do is line it with firebrick

I meant for the slab itself....

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                  I meant for the slab itself....

Pour a slab. Line the bottom of the fire box with firebrick...

Comment

Thanks on the tips skloss. I was finally able to get a hold of some firebricks as well as fire resistant mortar. Here's what my layout is looking like
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sure thing. Hurt my head looking at that pic. Had to adjust it a little. [emoji1303]

Comment

Comment

Following as I want to build a masonry pit at some point.

Comment

layout looks good... Looking forward to progress pics...

Comment

Thanks guys. The firebricks were bigger than I thought. There 3" thick, which made my firebox from18" to 12" so I had to expand it to take it back out to 18". Luckily I made the foundation bigger than I planned just in case. Gonna start to grout hopefully today.

Comment

Update

Here's what I've done so far. Some of the cinder blocks on the top layer aren't mortared in yet, that why they look funny. I'm trying to figure out what would gen the appropriate size for the opening from the firebox to the smoker box. I'm thinking 8x16. Also, after all this, I forgot about the chimney at the end.
                                Luckily I can still salvage and make it work. More to come. Tips would be appreciated.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X