Another Arrow Building Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Arrow Building Thread

I had poor penetration on a buck quartering away last year (my first year as a bowhunter) and I had planned to build new high FOC arrows (or get muddyfuzzy to do it) and turn up the weight on my bow (55 lbs last year).

I had a bit of a curve ball thrown at me with a slightly torn rotator cuff in my target shoulder (right shoulder I shoot lefty). I don't really feel it when I shoot and I am not planning on surgery until after the season at least. But, I plan to keep pulling 55 lbs to make sure I don't cause further injury.

Stats:
    Mission Ballistic 330 IBO
    27.5" Draw Length
    28.5" Arrow Length (I think)
    55 lbs draw weight

I want to build a higher FOC than my current Easton Axis 400's with 3 blazers and 100 grain heads, but I want to keep total weight down so my arrows aren't getting completely lobbed out there. I won't take a shot over 25 yards with this in mind.

Caveat: I am a total newb and don't know ****.

A quick look at Easton's site comes up with the Hexx 330 as a lighter arrow. So, what do you think about this?

Easton Hexx 330 at 7.9 gpi
    Easton Brass Hit 50 gram insert
    100 grain broadheads (I already have plenty of these).
    3 Blazer vanes
    FOC and Mass Calculator says - 404 grains 15.8% FOC

Will this work?
    What am I doing wrong?
    Is there a better option?
    Will this be under spined?

Thanks for your time,

EG

Being new to bowhunting, my suggestion is to change nothing. Poor penetration may or may not be a result of your arrow, but more than likely is a shot placement issue. A heavier, more FOC arrow will never fix poor placement.

Stick with what you have, practice more and build confidence in what you have, and your ability to shoot anywhere you want to. Plenty of animals die every year to set ups just like yours.

Comment

Are you shooting mechanical or cut on contact broadheads?

Comment

My wife shoots 42lbs 25.5" DL with 400 7.3gpi spine Easton arrows and 100gr. Thunderhead FIXED blade broadheads (total arrow weight 335gr) and has absolutely no issues with killing animals ethically. It's all about shot placement. She'll ONLY shoot broadside to slight quartering away with shoulder forward majority of time to give her extra room for error. Your setup is more than effective for hunting.

Building a high FOC arrow is fine but I personally don't think it's needed right now till you get some lbs built up on bow after surgery then you can build a more effective FOC arrow with overall more arrow weight. Good Luck

Comment

Just asking is your broadheads hitting with your field points? My penatration issues were from lack of tuning my bow properly

Comment

I would love to help you out! Just let me know!

Comment

Originally posted by TEXAS 10PT View Post
              Are you shooting mechanical or cut on contact broadheads?
              Cut on contact.

100 grn Magnus Stinger with the bleeders.
              Last edited by El General; 07-01-2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
                Just asking is your broadheads hitting with your field points? My penatration issues were from lack of tuning my bow properly
                Yes. The bow was tuned well (I had help with that). The arrow went to my exact point of aim.

Comment

Awesome rules that out them huh lol

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    Being new to bowhunting, my suggestion is to change nothing. Poor penetration may or may not be a result of your arrow, but more than likely is a shot placement issue. A heavier, more FOC arrow will never fix poor placement.

Stick with what you have, practice more and build confidence in what you have, and your ability to shoot anywhere you want to. Plenty of animals die every year to set ups just like yours.
                    These pictures will give you an idea where the arrow hit behind the shoulder. The deer was quartering away at what I would guess was a 45 angle or maybe slightly more. I'm sure it was not a perfect shot, but it should have been good enough. Arrow stuck in the offside shoulder (I assume) because it did not pass through. I am guessing that the arrow hit a rib and deflected because it would seem that I should have hit some vital area. The deer lived and was actually healed over by the end of season. The broadheads were new and sharpened, though I am sure that they could have been sharper.

I'd just like to do what I can to avoid this in the future.

And, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I appreciate your input.

Last edited by El General; 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Judging from those pictures, your shot was high, and hit either the edge of a rib bone, or the back of the shoulder blade. Not the offside shoulder.

45+degrees quartered away is a very steep angle with little room for error. And the rib cage becomes more like a wall that will deflect away more times than not. Not knowing if you were elevated or ground hunting, I would say the best shot location on the deer as you describe it would be behind the rib cage, shooting for the offside leg. Anything else forward of that IMO would result in exactly what you had happen regardless of the arrow used.

But the good news is that you get a second chance t him this fall!

Comment

There's a good chance at a steep angle the broad head deflected off rib and slide alongside down body between vitals and ribcage. Should have aimed 6" further back if 45degree or more.

Comment

Working...
                        X