6.5 build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 build?

So after many days of trying to decide on what rifle I want apr to build for me, I have it narrowed down to a 6.5 gun. Not really going to use this as a hunting gun, its going to be more of a range gun. Looking to shoot to 1000-1200 yards. The two calibers I have in mind is either a 6.5x47 lapua or a 260ai. Im sure a lot of guys will say go with a 6.5cm but I want to build one of those on a ar platform later on. So between those two which one would you choose and why? And if you have input on any other 6.5 rounds let me know.

6.5 Lapua. Very efficient cartridge, great Lapua brass available easily fits in a short action. No fire forming required.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      6.5 Lapua. Very efficient cartridge, great Lapua brass available easily fits in a short action. No fire forming required.
      Discussion over!

Comment

Of the two you listed 260 ai is the way I'd go but I'm a 260 fan. If you dint want to reload 260 rem

Comment

6.5 x47 would be a blast to shoot. My buddy has one and it literally shots one hole groups with Lapua brass, Federal Primer, 130 Berger VLD. Not sure on powder. Shooting 18 1/2" barrel with suppressor around 2800fps. He shot it at 1300yds and still kept it under 1 MOA in a 5 MPH wind. Have dropped deer at 600yds with it. 260ai for more speed and distance if you're gonna stretch the distance out.
          My personal choice would be the 6.5x47 of the two due to easy shooting, recoil, and reloading.

Comment

In an AR platform I think your limited to the 6.5 Grendel. In a bolt gun, something larger like 260ai, creedmore, 6.5 x 284 etc.
            Last edited by LWolken; 06-26-2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

If you go 6.5x47 you won't have to worry about mag length and OAL but the 260/260AI will require extended mag box and undercutting action for the long pills to fit. you can get Lapua brass in the 260 as well as the 6.4x47 so don't let component selection sway you. Fire forming is not that big of a deal to do in my experiences. I load up 7 gr of Unique pistol powder and fill case up with cream of wheat, cap with a wad of toilet paper and scare the neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by LWolken View Post
                In an AR platform I think your limited to the 6.5 Grendel. In a bolt gun, something larger like 260ai, creedmore, 6.5 x 284 etc.

In an AR15 yes that is correct. You would have to step up to the AR10 style rifles.

6.5-284 is best when used in a long action bolt rifle.

Realistically there is only about a 200fps difference across the board between all of them, but it takes a lot more powder to get it there.

6.5 x 47 Lapua is the most efficient design of all of them.

Comment

I'm in the process of having a 6.5x284 built right now. I went with this 6.5 round for the speed and knockdown power using 140gr VLD while hunting. People talk about it being a barrel burner. But as a hunting gun I'm not too concerned about "barrel burner". If you plan on shooting this gun ALOT on target then you'd be better with a 6.5x47. At end of day all 6.5 calibers are great for long range. The 260AI is a great round too but I don't want to mess with fireforming as I don't have the time to devote to reloading as much as I'd like.

Comment

Working...
                  X