No announcement yet.

Wilson county rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sat in blind yesterday for 6 hours total. Morning activity is slow but evening is good. We got a pretty big moon out too. Lots of acorns.

I have one set up in the middle of 50 acres of post oaks, a 32 ft pen with protein, corn and water. Last evening at 5 I had 7 does in the feed pen with two legal bucks. One buck is 8 point 13-14 inch and a 10 point 15-16 inch both are typical Wilson county deer(young and will both die soon) neither buck was chasing and no necks are swollen. I’m not interested in taking either one but I like to watch them.

This morning the 10 point showed up and chased a yearling within 5 yards of me. I believe we are still a few days or a week away from full rut. I hope the 10 point breeds a few before the neighbors take him out.
    Last edited by Radar; 11-09-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Over in Bexar the bucks haven’t been chasing just yet but have been responsive to grunts and rattling.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        Over in Bexar the bucks haven’t been chasing just yet but have been responsive to grunts and rattling.
        Everything left my feed pen at 8 am this morning, I’m just pecking on Tbh now :

Comment

Have not seen a single deer today. Shot clean over a big doe yesterday. Camera on this location shows no action until around 845am

Comment

I’m gonna get me a beer and fry an egg

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
              Have not seen a single deer today. Shot clean over a big doe yesterday. Camera on this location shows no action until around 845am
              Well David missed a 9 point yesterday evening with his crossbow, this morning was slow. We had two Doe come in early and a few spiked shortly afterwards. Then as we decided to get down and got to the ground, we had a very big wide 8 chasing a few doe finnaly made his way in front of us ran straight In to the feeder wife couldn't get a shot sitting on the ground. she had the rifle on her knee and he was on a mission!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                I sat in blind yesterday for 6 hours total. Morning activity is slow but evening is good. We got a pretty big moon out too. Lots of acorns.

I have one set up in the middle of 50 acres of post oaks, a 32 ft pen with protein, corn and water. Last evening at 5 I had 7 does in the feed pen with two legal bucks. One buck is 8 point 13-14 inch and a 10 point 15-16 inch both are typical Wilson county deer(young and will both die soon) neither buck was chasing and no necks are swollen. I’m not interested in taking either one but I like to watch them.

This morning the 10 point showed up and chased a yearling within 5 yards of me. I believe we are still a few days or a week away from full rut. I hope the 10 point breeds a few before the neighbors take him out.
                Wow I've been noticing the exact same! Morning are slow evenings are on fire seen 6 bucks yesterday one being a nice 9 point my son clean missed, he bad the buck fever!

Comment

I haven’t seen much activity yet this year. I’ve only been hunting mornings and does are passing by cool as cucumbers. Last year it was around the 12th for my area. I usually see them chasing in the fields around here and haven’t even seen that yet [emoji2371] I’m going to just keep an eye out. (North of Stockdale) good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by animalhse View Post
                    I haven’t seen much activity yet this year. I’ve only been hunting mornings and does are passing by cool as cucumbers. Last year it was around the 12th for my area. I usually see them chasing in the fields around here and haven’t even seen that yet [emoji2371] I’m going to just keep an eye out. (North of Stockdale) good luck!

7th 8th and 9th were very active in the 3432 area. Three mature never seen on camera bucks chasing doe hard. All three days we seen shooters chasing. Yesterday evening did not see one deer. It's a very weird pattern this year but this front coming we hope gets them up again moving.

Comment

I saw a couple of bucks on the hoof last week I’d not seen before but no real chasing going on.
                      I agree with you that hopefully the cold snap will flip the switch. We’ll see! It’ll be fun in the stand at least! Good luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by animalhse View Post
                        I saw a couple of bucks on the hoof last week I’d not seen before but no real chasing going on.
                        I agree with you that hopefully the cold snap will flip the switch. We’ll see! It’ll be fun in the stand at least! Good luck to you!

Good luck to you as well, my wife and son are the hunters so well see if I can help them connect.

Comment

Not one deer to be seen this morning but the acorns were falling like rain drops.
                          Yesterday I had a little spike 15' away under my tree, but just couldn't draw on him, barely make a good sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                            Not one deer to be seen this morning but the acorns were falling like rain drops.
                            Yesterday I had a little spike 15' away under my tree, but just couldn't draw on him, barely make a good sandwich.
                            This little cool front should help!

Comment

Anyone hunting this weather? Wife and I were out this morning, had alot of fun sitting up against a tree had a doe with a good buck locked on her all morning and 3 smaller bucks as well. We couldn't get a shot maybe we will this evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt life View Post
                                Anyone hunting this weather? Wife and I were out this morning, had alot of fun sitting up against a tree had a doe with a good buck locked on her all morning and 3 smaller bucks as well. We couldn't get a shot maybe we will this evening.

I like to judge the rut in Wilson county by travelling FM 775 from 181 to LV. More than 5 dead deer on the road is a sure sign the rut is happening, lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X