Investments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lexington View Post
    Can you explain this? I've never heard of anyone buying a bank.
    Most banks have stockholders. You buy stock in them like any other company. Just make sure you check the overall health of the bank. Earnings, dividends, etc. Be cautious if someone or some family owns a controlling interest and has family working in the bank.

Comment

It is GREAT that you are looking for other streams of income. Good start!
      Originally posted by txtradesman View Post
      Car washes and laundry mats are not 'hands off'

I know people in both businesses and It consumes them
      Yep, one of my neighbors just sold both of his car washes and bought 3 or 4 very nice rental houses.
      A friend of mine back home dad had laundry mats for 30 years. Very tough and time consuming business.
      Originally posted by gmac View Post
      Storage units
      I am a small investor with Community Self Storage in Houston. It has been consistent but they are HUGE in size and in higher end areas. They even have wine storage.

Comment

Buy commercial real estate buildings. Buy in good areas. Find a good tenant and it is great mailbox money. I wish I had done this 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Buy commercial real estate buildings. Buy in good areas. Find a good tenant and it is great mailbox money. I wish I had done this 15 years ago.

I like this idea. Pretty high entry cost? (Compared to residential rental property?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe I'm the only one that's noticed..There's a ton of pawn shops,all over Dallas.Same name,same corners;since I was a kid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              It is GREAT that you are looking for other streams of income. Good start!

Yep, one of my neighbors just sold both of his car washes and bought 3 or 4 very nice rental houses.

A friend of mine back home dad had laundry mats for 30 years. Very tough and time consuming business.

I am a small investor with Community Self Storage in Houston. It has been consistent but they are HUGE in size and in higher end areas. They even have wine storage.

http://www.communityself-storage.com/

Nice plug!

Comment

Nice plug!
                What about your profile name

Comment

Storage units are definitely not hands off unless you hire a live in employee.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                    I like this idea. Pretty high entry cost? (Compared to residential rental property?)

x2

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post

I've considered this as well. In my research, yes, commercial real estate is way more expensive to get into than residential.

Comment

You can "invest" in all kinds of scams...I mean people... at this site.

I'm sure there may be some legit ones in there but good luck finding them. Makes for good reading LOL

Comment

Before I retired and moved, there was a gentleman in his mid eighties that always built a house next to me and he always had car washes. I had a discussion wit him a couple times on this topic, he said the 1960/70's it was a decent business adventnture. But being involved in this allowed him to get his license to sell the chemicals, etc that are involved in the car washes. It also opened doors for him to sell cleaning chemicals, lease and sale equipment to some of the refinery chemical plants in the Harris County areas. So what he was telling me basically look past the tree line (so to speak) for opportunities. He was very interesting to talk with.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                            What about your profile name
                            Lol......that was long b4 my wife wanted one. Actually means I will travel anywhere to bowhunt!!!
                            Originally posted by AddisonOil View Post
                            Nice plug!
                            Sorry it was interpreted that way.....not my intention at all. Not many folks can spend $17 million to build one of these monster storage facilities. But just like other ventures u can buy shares at a decent rate from the guy that started the venture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                              back to square one........buy more land
                              This is great advice. I'm an old man and have tried many different things to supplement my regular paying job. Had a contract on a laundry mat one time. One my way to the closing, the sellers attorney called me and said the deal was off. Said he determined that the seller had "cooked the books" and he did not want to be responsible for misleading a buyer so pulled the deal off the table. Then I started buying, remodeling and selling single family houses. Outstanding deal. Then, I started keeping the best ones in good rental markets. For me, absolutely the best thing I ever did in terms of investment returns and headaches. When they started becoming too much for me to take care of while I was doing my regular job, my wife said to sell! I chose to find me some good, honest maintenance guys to do the dirty work. Best thing I ever did. So you get a phone call or two every now and then, no big deal. For a little bit of time and trouble, you let the tenants payoff the mortgage. Then, you get a deed in the mail for your trouble. Great return for your time and effort. Then, when you retire, the checks start coming in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                You can "invest" in all kinds of scams...I mean people... at this site.

I'm sure there may be some legit ones in there but good luck finding them. Makes for good reading LOL
                                Peer 2 peer lending is gaining popularity. I got a few bucks thrown in lendingclub.com

It's a little more legit, the applicants are put through a process of acceptance, if they get charged off, the collection process takes place.

I just thought it was interesting and a different thing to do. We shall see

Comment

Working...
                                X