Golf has some stupid rules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf has some stupid rules!

Hard lesson learned for my freshman daughter yesterday at the regional golf tournament. She was DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard. She shot an 83, 45 on the front and 38 on the back. all four girls in her group had her at an 83. She gave the card to her coach. He noticed the front 9 total should have been a 44. The girl keeping her score wrote down a 6 instead of a 7 on the first hole. For some reason, the coach turned it in anyway instead of trying to get it straight first. I know it is ultimately her responsibility to get it correct but it seems stupid to me to get DQ'd for turning in a higher score than the person keeping your score has down. Her team would have advanced to the state tournament. The girl who would have finished second overall was DQ'd for the same reason. Her team failed to advance as well. Another girl was axed for playing an OB shot wrong

I know I sound bitchy here, but the all of this could have been eliminated if the people who ran this tournament would of had a scorers tent for the kids to reconcile scores after leaving the 18th green. It was a zoo around the pavilion with approx 200 people trying to see scores and who would advance. Needless to say, it was a long ride home with a crying 15 year old daughter who felt like she cost her team a tri to the state tournament.

Well if it makes her feel any better, she probably could whip my butt at golf.
    Tell her keep her head up there is always next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That stinks. There should have been a scorers tent just off the 18th green for sure. I thought that was SOP.

Comment

That one is on the coach, that is part of his/her job.

Comment

Yea, you can't ground your club in a hazard either.. I hate golf...

Comment

While I agree that it is unfortunate and a tough lesson, it's a rule that has been around for a long time. Ultimately I would place the blame on the coach for not correcting it before turning in the cards.

Comment

I think the anchoring ban is a stupid rule, but signing an incorrect scorecard is a rule that has been around for awhile. Robert De Vicenzo lost the 1968 Masters that way.

Comment

Definatley some stupid rules

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  I think the anchoring ban is a stupid rule, but signing an incorrect scorecard is a rule that has been around for awhile. Robert De Vicenzo lost the 1968 Masters that way.
                  I know it's been around forever. It just seems stupid to me if you shot an 83 and sign for an 83, you shouldn't get DQ' for it. At least her momma didn't ape S on everyone there. She actually kept her cool

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
                    While I agree that it is unfortunate and a tough lesson, it's a rule that has been around for a long time. Ultimately I would place the blame on the coach for not correcting it before turning in the cards.
                    It is the person who's scorecard it is responsibility to make sure its correct. Not the coaches not the person writing down the scores. Did they all fail, yes. Each one of them failed at their part but in the end it is the athletes responsibility to make sure the card is correct. You cant place the blame anywhere else.

No disrespect meant bullhead, my son faced a very simaliar scenario earlier this year and did not make the State 4-H archery team. I know the grief. We as parents can only hope that it make our kids pay more attention and follow the rules to the letter when things like this happen.
                    Last edited by one66stang; 04-13-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

OUCH!!!! Thats tough.

Comment

Tough rule but its what keeps the game good. Happened to my daughter as well. She carded a 72 and girl scoring her wrote correct score and they both signed it. Girl scoring her wrote a 4 on a par three on accident. They all agreed after round but card was already submitted. So she was DQd. No one to blame but her self. No need to gripe to anyone. GOOD LESSON LEARNED. Teaches accountability. Happened to her last season.

Comment

Hard but fair.........resonates through my cranium! But more importantly, a GREAT life lesson that will serve her well into adulthood. Congrats on having a daughter that is proving to be successful in life already.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                            Hard but fair.........resonates through my cranium! But more importantly, a GREAT life lesson that will serve her well into adulthood. Congrats on having a daughter that is proving to be successful in life already.
                            ^^^This^^^

Comment

Let her know she wasn't the first person to have this happen to, and sadly won't be the last.

In 1987 a member of our High School Team had the same thing happen to him. Terry is a scratch golfer and what you just described to include the lack of a reconcile area happened to him.

The big difference is your kiddo will get another shot. Terry was a senior and it was his last attempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X