"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    I would rather go deep and get closer to private land in an otherwise inaccessible area.
    that makes sense! thanks!

Originally posted by FISHUNTER View Post
    Ground out there is too hard to hold any prints..need a good rain pour so I can see whats active in the area.
    thats for sure! some rain will help us a lot!

Comment

When i first started hunting the forest I barely saw any deer and just seeing a deer was a great day. Now, 6 years later, after a lot of scouting and implementing all the great advice i get from this website...I do feel getting a doe in the forest is "that easy" I'm knocking on wood right now so I didn't just jinx myself with that comment

Comment

Scouting

Had to get in the forest yesterday just to scratch my itch. Wife was with me so got later start than I would have if it was just me. Started scouting @ 8:30 am on east side. Hot and humid as heck when we started.

Really surprised with the # of deer we saw that late. Easily saw dozen deer and alot of fawns with the does.Most were singles but did see 1 doe with twins feeding in road. We amost steped on a couple of fawns that were laying low -very cool, almost like flushing quail. The good thing is they were both in areas I hunt regularly during bow season - now if i can just get the bucks to come sniffin around those does come season I'll be good.

No hogs which continues to surprise me. This will be th 5th or 6th year I have hunted this area. Until last year, I was covered up by the big uglies. Last year they were nowhere to be found and it looks like it is still the same. I'll have to keep looking for them because in all honesty I get more fired up over chasing hogs than does young bucks - +13" mature bucks is a different story but I have been struggling to zero in on those guys for the past several years.

Stopped by Lake Conroe for lunch. Unbelievable the number of boats and jet skis on water!!!

All in all a good day in the forest.

Comment

well my plans are shot! i layed my bike down yesterday. got up and walked away with no problems. went to the river several hours later and had to pull my canoe over a log jam. I had a log roll under me and twisted my knee around. got up this morning and have a pumpkin where my knee was yesterday and i cant walk. there goes my after chruch scouting............. will do alot of research via maps and google earth though.

Comment

whats the word on scotts ridge? crowded? waste of time?

same question go for stubble field.

Comment

New to forum and deer hunting.(started about 3 years ago) still going for my first buck and hopefully the forest can produce with some scouting this year. Found a pond last year, saw a couple does but really think there is too much pressure there.

Have fished it twice and caught some decent bass, but with lack of rain I haven't been up there this off season. Hopefully going up to start scouting soon. I'll be running around in either a navy 93 jeep or a maroon 4 door jeep. Hopefully see some of you guys out there. Thanks for all the info!

Comment

look for tbh stickers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXDoeslayer View Post
                  New to forum and deer hunting.(started about 3 years ago) still going for my first buck and hopefully the forest can produce with some scouting this year. Found a pond last year, saw a couple does but really think there is too much pressure there.

Have fished it twice and caught some decent bass, but with lack of rain I haven't been up there this off season. Hopefully going up to start scouting soon. I'll be running around in either a navy 93 jeep or a maroon 4 door jeep. Hopefully see some of you guys out there. Thanks for all the info!
                  Awsome...hope we found the same pond. Going to bring me some H20 Xpress crankbaits and a pack rod next time I head back out there. I don't have a TBH sticker yet....but if yall see a truck with Academy Sports +Outdoors sticker on back window...thats me.

(Lure plug thrown in there) ....pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                    whats the word on scotts ridge? crowded? waste of time?

same question go for stubble field.
                    If you are talking hunting, Scotts Ridge is a no hunting area.

Stubblefield is crowded when hunting or fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by FISHUNTER View Post
                      Another question....kinda out there though.
                      My other passion got ahold of me out there. I come across a lot of ponds back in the woods. We're in the middle of a drought and these ponds are still full. So I kinda assume they are deep/well established and have been there a long time. One pictured is smallest I have found. Has anyone ever tried to fish any of these ponds in SHNF?

I hunt wood ducks on several ponds on the east side. I know one in particular that is fairly good sized and the water is crystal clear. I've seen several bass in the 5 lb range in that one and loads of palm sized bluegill.

I need to get out and scout. The area I hunted the last several years had some real slobs move in when gun season started. I was seeing deer during archery season and was gone the first week of gun season. When I came back the area was trashed, there were the remains of 3 campfires, and a huge trail had been cleared by machete. Didn't see a deer or even any deer sign the rest of the season.

Comment

Well I made a quick trip up to scout and look for a pond that shows on the map. No pond there, but there are several deep creeks that are dry. I saw several deer out, but surprisingly no fawns. I saw one cow horn spike. He is in velvet and probably had 7" spikes or so. Hopefully I can get back out there in two weeks.

I have hunted a couple spots on the east side and the spot above is on the east side. I have scouted one area for years, but like most areas the bucks are few and far between. It seems that if you can find an area with deer in it, then they will be there thru the year, but other areas, no matter how much sign you find, the deer do not seem to use it.

Comment

hello all. I'm pretty new to the forum but been reading a bit and there's a bunch of good info here.
                          I been scouting a spot with a pond on the west side but it has a lot of hog sign. do you guys think the deer would travel that area too or would the hogs keep them away. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by FISHINJESS View Post
                            hello all. I'm pretty new to the forum but been reading a bit and there's a bunch of good info here.
                            I been scouting a spot with a pond on the west side but it has a lot of hog sign. do you guys think the deer would travel that area too or would the hogs keep them away. Thanks!
                            No, it seems the hogs don't seem to stay around in an area too long. The does stay in a home range and return quite often. Bucks tend to move with bucks and they move very little until the rut kicks in. Then they will scatter everywhere. This time of year you practically have to step on them before they will get up and move. I'm looking at a spot where there are tons of deer droppings and hog droppings on the same trail. It will get some attention this year.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                              Well I made a quick trip up to scout and look for a pond that shows on the map. No pond there, but there are several deep creeks that are dry. I saw several deer out, but surprisingly no fawns. I saw one cow horn spike. He is in velvet and probably had 7" spikes or so. Hopefully I can get back out there in two weeks.

I have hunted a couple spots on the east side and the spot above is on the east side. I have scouted one area for years, but like most areas the bucks are few and far between. It seems that if you can find an area with deer in it, then they will be there thru the year, but other areas, no matter how much sign you find, the deer do not seem to use it.
                              I think I know the exact spot you are talking about I also scouted that spot last year and hunted there a couple times.
                              If it is the same spot I am thinking of be carefull walking the pipeline to it the private property owner to the east has a shooting bench setup next to the public land and shoots right down the pipeline.
                              The property owner on the west side is a very nice guy he drives a jeep and will stop and talk to you if he sees you at the gate.
                              I will pm you some more info if it is the same spot.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter31 View Post
                                I think I know the exact spot you are talking about I also scouted that spot last year and hunted there a couple times.
                                If it is the same spot I am thinking of be carefull walking the pipeline to it the private property owner to the east has a shooting bench setup next to the public land and shoots right down the pipeline.
                                The property owner on the west side is a very nice guy he drives a jeep and will stop and talk to you if he sees you at the gate.
                                I will pm you some more info if it is the same spot.
                                Not the one I was scouting this time, but does sound vagely like another spot I have hunted.

Comment

Working...
                                X