Justin Hurst WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin Hurst WMA

First a quick tip of the cap to Justin Hurst, let us never forget.

Has anyone hunted the Justin Hurst WMA during duck season?
    I heard it was very very busy, and super crowded, but only from 1 source.

Anyone else tried it?

About equidistant for me is J. D. Murphree WMA. I have never been, but seems like the area should be quieter.

Thoughts?

Never hunted it, but I live right next door to it and there are always a lot of trucks lined up to hunt starting the evening before.

Comment

I used to drive by there on my way home from work. They line up on the side of the road the day before to waiting to get in. They kill ducks out there but I'm not spending the night on the side of the road to kill a duck. There would be people bbqing waiting. Lol

Comment

I went to school with Justin.

Comment

Pretty consistent reports, I do not think I will line up all night to duck hunt either.

Comment

J.D. Murphree is pretty much the same way. I believe its access is by boat only so if you don't have a shallow draft boat or preferably a mud motor you kinda out of luck.

Comment

I hunt there at least a few times a year. I usually get there about 8pm the night before which puts me about 9th in line. The regulars camp and party in line, and even though they hunt together, they pick separate blinds to kind of make a big area for themselves . Walking in is difficult due to huge holes and soft mud from all the cows. I have since learned to take my canoe. Once you learn where to go expect one to two birds a man. I don't really have any better options for duck hunting(except wood ducks) , so I deal with it.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of effort. We will see. Likely just stick with my places in east texas.

Comment

Justin was a hell of a man. Our wives were college roommates.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                  X