Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexico 2015-2016

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
    You ever hunt oat patches at Cerritos????

Lol if you wanna call it that! Unless by patches you mean 5acres of 4'x4' patches here and there haha. It can be done but I wouldn't put that much effort into a plot with such little natural precipitation. But then again I could plant one an someone else could 100 yrds away and there's would look like jumanji an mine a desert

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      I don't know anyone personally that's put a food plot in Mexico rain isn't reliable and good luck getting water on some ranches. I would deff fly in
      Lol if you wanna call it that! Unless by patches you mean 5acres of 4'x4' patches here and there haha. It can be done but I wouldn't put that much effort into a plot with such little natural precipitation. But then again I could plant one an someone else could 100 yrds away and there's would look like jumanji an mine a desert
      So you've seen it done and hunted them....... Those little green spots bring in lots of deer no matter how bad/sad they are........ It's always a crap shoot In Mexico and STX but when it works is epic especially late season and post rut... Worth a shot but just plan on it not coming up and if it does its a major bonus!!

Comment

No doubt Keith! I have seen them pay off!!

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
          So you've seen it done and hunted them....... Those little green spots bring in lots of deer no matter how bad/sad they are........ It's always a crap shoot In Mexico and STX but when it works is epic especially late season and post rut... Worth a shot but just plan on it not coming up and if it does its a major bonus!!
          Lol haven't seen it done by anyone I know in past 6 years and only that one. It would most deff be a huge draw no doubt about it!! But that much effort an money and the odds of it hittin TO ME aren't somethin I would do. Can it be done yes does it make awesome hunting if it hits for sure! But I wonder what the success rate is for ranches with limited water supply an no windmills?

But then again I ain't got the money some of you guys got LOL

Comment

Another 2" in Hidalgo

Comment

Lol haven't seen it done by anyone I know in past 6 years and only that one. It would most deff be a huge draw no doubt about it!! But that much effort an money and the odds of it hittin TO ME aren't somethin I would do. Can it be done yes does it make awesome hunting if it hits for sure! But I wonder what the success rate is for ranches with limited water supply an no windmills?

But then again I ain't got the money some of you guys got LOL
              We have had good success in the past. There was always something that comes up but most years its not great. Even with limited growth these fields still fill up with deer late season to graze on not only oats but the winter weeds that come up. Years like the one we are having now are very rare and everything is awesome down there now!

A far as money goes...... Our landowner plants them every year and grazes his cattle on them in the spring so nothing out of pocket for us.
              Last edited by KR-oldmexico; 03-23-2015, 05:30 AM.

Comment

We have a 15 acre plot on the new ranch that will be planted this weekend. We are going to plant about 1/2 of it with cow peas and a wildlife mix.Around September we will plant the other 1/2 with clover,alfalfa, and oats.The rancher has a canal that he can use to irrigate the plot with for 12 hours twice a month.I know Rusty plants way bigger plots in the same area with much success so we are going to try as well.

Comment

KR yall know what Cerritos has been harvesting past couple years? Man it had more deer numbers then I've ever seen! Curious if they are managing it any different. Jose still the owner?

Comment

1.5" south of Nuevo Laredo.

Comment

1.7" my neighborhood. That after 8/10 the previous week. Been a long time.....

Comment

KR yall know what Cerritos has been harvesting past couple years? Man it had more deer numbers then I've ever seen! Curious if they are managing it any different. Jose still the owner?

Nothing much. Lots of "traffic"

Comment

Originally posted by dstrong View Post
                          Nothing much. Lots of "traffic"

Dstrong yall still on it? They implemented a management program?

Comment

Dstrong yall still on it? They implemented a management program?

Never was on it. Freddy I believe left last year. I drove thorough it a bit going from Zancudo to Zorro.

Comment

Originally posted by dstrong View Post
                              Never was on it. Freddy I believe left last year. I drove thorough it a bit going from Zancudo to Zorro.

Got ya I heard there's was talk of selling part of it

Comment

Got ya I heard there's was talk of selling part of it
                                I don't believe that happened either nor could I ever see that happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X