This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedgoat View Post
    He has to correct his coaching issues. Wickline needs exit papers. So does special teams.
    Wickline needs to improve his recruiting but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in college coaching say he's not a great X's and O's coach. Heck, even OSU fans still say positive things.

Traylor has the connections to be a great recruiter. Special teams have been terrible but how do you blame the guy for a missed extra point, dropped snap and snap over the head? That's execution, not coaching IMO.

The kicker has already been told his job is open. IIRC that was the 1st bad snap on the season and the punter is a true freshman that bangs 2 and shanks one.

The coverage left some to be desired against TCU but Turpin has shredded everyone. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.

I agree changes need to be made but I'd be looking at OC and RB coach before I cut Traylor or Wick.

It's inexcusable that D Foreman averages 3x as many YPC as Gray and has fewer carries. It's inexcusable that guys like De LaTorre get split wide when Heard is running for his life and guys like McNeal that could actually be a threat out wide, sit on the bench. Those are personnel decisions and the responsibility of Charlie and Norvell in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by bdchorn View Post
      Wickline needs to improve his recruiting but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in college coaching say he's not a great X's and O's coach. Heck, even OSU fans still say positive things.

Traylor has the connections to be a great recruiter. Special teams have been terrible but how do you blame the guy for a missed extra point, dropped snap and snap over the head? That's execution, not coaching IMO.

The kicker has already been told his job is open. IIRC that was the 1st bad snap on the season and the punter is a true freshman that bangs 2 and shanks one.

The coverage left some to be desired against TCU but Turpin has shredded everyone. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.

I agree changes need to be made but I'd be looking at OC and RB coach before I cut Traylor or Wick.

It's inexcusable that D Foreman averages 3x as many YPC as Gray and has fewer carries. It's inexcusable that guys like De LaTorre get split wide when Heard is running for his life and guys like McNeal that could actually be a threat out wide, sit on the bench. Those are personnel decisions and the responsibility of Charlie and Norvell in my opinion
      All true, but Wickline took two juco players that have yet to see the field.

Comment

He has to correct his coaching issues. Wickline needs exit papers. So does special teams.

Do what? What's wrong with ST outside of individual performers? I completely disagree on Wick as well. Most OL are SR. and JR's. It's already better than last year (not saying much) and he now has depth to build from.

Texas is the youngest team in the country other than Louisville in terms of "starters" and getting younger. This team needs age and likely two more good recruiting classes. Just because the freshmen are playing doesn't mean they're good, but they're better than the alternative. That's telling!

If Chuck gets canned, the new foundation has been poured for the next coach.

Comment

Nickelson saw the field. They're probably going to go JUCO again at OL and DT.

Comment

Strong will stay for the long haul.

According to a report from ESPN.com's Joe Schad, Strong still has plenty of support in Austin from school officials and booster.

"Charlie has a lot of breathing room," according to the report. "There is nowhere near the pressure to remove him at this time that there was with Steve Patterson or even Mack Brown.

"Charlie has the support of the people he needs to be supported by right now. The last thing they want to do is make a change."

Comment

CFB 2015 Week 6 Thread

Wickline yes! ST coach is to new to fire. Besides its Kris Boyd's high school coach right? Give him and Strong a few more years!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                Nickelson saw the field. They're probably going to go JUCO again at OL and DT.
                They need to. Can't believe how devoid of talent they are there. Or, is it just experience?

Comment

I think Wickline needs some better players before you send him packing. Maybe develop some of the ones already there, but that doesn't happen overnight. ST's??? I think we need a new punter and kicker, not a new coach. Maybe a new recruiter!
                  Last edited by Birddog66; 10-05-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Glad I didn't see the game on Saturday. Even happier I won't be watching the game this week. I know Texas will get better with time. The question is - how long? I remember the Fed Akers days and beyond. I am not eager to repeat that merry-go-round.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      It won't end up that way!
                      Very impressed with those TCU boys physical nature on defense! I knew what we were getting into with TCU's offense but didn't expect all that from there "depleted" D. I'll be pulling for those boys here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                        I think Wickline needs some better players before you send him packing. Maybe develop some of the ones already there, but that doesn't happen overnight. ST's??? I think we need a new punter and kicker, not a new coach. Maybe a new recruiter!

Nick has a big leg, he's not accurate! The punter was a late summer addition from some kicking academy.

Comment

Yep. His recruiting leaves a lot to be desired at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                            Very impressed with those TCU boys physical nature on defense! I knew what we were getting into with TCU's offense but didn't expect all that from there "depleted" D. I'll be pulling for those boys here on out.
                            It was sure night and day from last week just from a fundamental standpoint.

Comment

As soon as they put Downing in the game, Texas scored. I feel bad for the guy, but he done!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                                Do what? What's wrong with ST outside of individual performers? I completely disagree on Wick as well. Most OL are SR. and JR's. It's already better than last year (not saying much) and he now has depth to build from.

Texas is the youngest team in the country other than Louisville in terms of "starters" and getting younger. This team needs age and likely two more good recruiting classes. Just because the freshmen are playing doesn't mean they're good, but they're better than the alternative. That's telling!

If Chuck gets canned, the new foundation has been poured for the next coach.
                                I don't think he will get fired. It's crazy if he does. TCU will be going through the growing pains with both punter and place kicker next year. I'm not looking forward to that at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X