22-250...what barrel twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22-250...what barrel twist?

Looking for recommenadtions on barrel twist for a 22-250.

1:9 or 1:12

Probably a 24-26” bull barrel that will be used for predator hunting.

what grain would you like to shoot? I like the 1:9 myself.

Comment

Following.

Comment

Light fast bullets 1:12
        Heavier bullets 1:9.

If it was me. I'd go with 1:12 if it was a dedicated varmint gun. If I was going to be hunting deer also. Id go 1:9. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

When you guys say light and heavy bullets what specific grains? are we talking 50 vs 60 grain?

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            When you guys say light and heavy bullets what specific grains? are we talking 50 vs 60 grain?
            I'd say if you want to shoot 40 to 60 grain go with 1:12 if you want to shoot 55 to 75 go with 1:9.

My sons 22-250 is 1:10. It shoots everything we've put thru it great 40 to 65.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              I'd say if you want to shoot 40 to 60 grain go with 1:12 if you want to shoot 55 to 75 go with 1:9.

My sons 22-250 is 1:10. It shoots everything we've put thru it great 40 to 65.
              That's sound advice and with this round it really does depend on what you want to do with regarding twist rates..

I've said it before, pick a round and twist that will deliver the desired bullet to the desired speed.

I have a 22-250ai with a 22 inch suppressed 1:8 barrel. I built it with the goal of shooting 65-80 grains at 3100 fps. I haven't shot anything less then 69 grains yet but 69-80 has been great and I'm getting 3100 from the 80.

It's a brutal killer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine has a 1:12 twist 22" barrel on it. Shoots 50-55 grain bullets really well.

Comment

not sure man

Comment

My 1/12 savage 26” loves 55 grain vmax loaded with varget. It’s super accurate and explosive on foxes

Comment

I'm old school..give me a 1/14 twist with a 52gr benchrest pill going top speed & I'm happy killing critters.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't see the part specifically about predators. Mine is build for all around hunting from deer to pigs to varmints and long range plinking.

If I wanted a dedicated varmint rig it would likely be a 1:12 shooting 55 grain pills at light speed.

Comment

Schilling 1:9, will throw a 62 grain amazing... varmints to deer...

Comment

Personally I'd want to shoot heavies, like the 224 Valk, meaning 1:7 or 1:8 twist would be ideal. I'm sure more bullets will come along for the offering in the heavier class and the 22-250 will sling them out nicely!

Comment

Working...
                              X