Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tagging for later, good reading!

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. It is fascinating!

Comment

Sorry if I missed it Rob, but what year were you born...I was sprung from the ole McAllen Hospital as well in 69.

That's a really impressive write up & sorta jealous!! Wish I had more detailed history of my heritage.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this back up Dale. This is my first time seeing it and I just read every post. Incredible stuff.

Comment

Good stuff, Rob!
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Very interesting!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

ATW, that was a great read.

Comment

Dale, What part of Jack County is your kin from? Most all of mine on my fathers side were located in Jermyn and Winn Hill communities.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  Sounds like we may be kin somewhere back down the line! How bout that, did something they'd jail you for now, and wound up a war hero....

My grandpa on the Moser side fought hand to hand, island to island in the pacific theater as well. Never spoke a word of it to anyone stateside, and died young when I was child. All we know is what a few paper clippings say. There were medals, but I suppose he probably did with them what he thought best. I wish I knew more about what he did over there, but I know he had his reasons for not saying. What I know is enough for me.

My grandpa Roberts was a B-17 pilot over Europe, I have his medals and heard many stories from him. I believe he was born in '22 or 23 Lonnie Dee Roberts.

Some day I need to look up the Roberts lineage from Jack County around that time period. I'd say the odds are **** slim we aren't related in some way.

Thanks for the stories as always, Rob. No one puts them the way you do.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    Thanks for bringing this back up Dale. This is my first time seeing it and I just read every post. Incredible stuff.
                    Me too! Absolutely fascinating Rob, Dale and others!! Sure wish I knew more about my family's history... It was sort of not talked about on my dad's side... As I posted in the Native Texan thread, my great grandfather rode with the Jesse James gang and my grandpa's name was Jesse James Cheatom... I've not been able to get farther back than my Great Grandfather Washington Cheatom... Family originally came from Yorkshire England where the name is spelled correctly as Cheatham, but there's a wiiiide gap of unknown history now sadly...

My mom was a Smith... Ain't no tellin' where it would go back if we could trace it...

Thanks again guys for sharing such a rich history with us!!

Comment

I love this kind of stuff! Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
                        Dale, What part of Jack County is your kin from? Most all of mine on my fathers side were located in Jermyn and Winn Hill communities.
                        As near as I can tell his folks probably just went over there for him to be born, or maybe were visiting someone. They mostly were all settled in Montague county in Salona, near Bowie. I've also found that folks didn't always know for sure what county they were in back then, or state for that matter. My grandmother lived her whole life thinking she was born in Hollis Oklahoma, but was actually born in Childress Texas.

I go down the ancestry wormhole from time to time, as a history nerd it's very fascinating to me.

What is your families name around Jermyn? Any Lovings? Big history in that area, I drive through it all the time on the way to deer camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                          Very cool that you're able to gather so much family history and out certainly does help us to appreciate where we are today! My great grand father came over from Poland as well in 1918 to escape persecution in Poland. They landed at Ellis Island and established a hard working life in a leather tannery I grew up playing at during summer visits. He had no problems gaining citizenship and I don't question one bit of the history you heard either. I might double check and verify anything the history channel puts out as I would any source as well. The history of our United States is a unique one!
                          Milinski (Mom's last name was Cashdollar from Germany because they couldn't understand her grandfather when asked of his last name.... Not prophetic either, unfortunately!)
                          Hmmmm.....the Cashdollar name is interesting and very similar to my family's last name. I'm sure most of my ancestors hailed from Germany based on the genealogy work my mom did. Small world indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                            Same here. All I know was my GGrandfather came over from Germany and founded a farm in Iowa. My Grandfather was born in the farm house and lived there til he was 88 and passed. Wish I new the other details.
                            GGrandfather did the same, Germany to Iowa, farming. Ended up in Oklahoma, just north of the Red, where my mom was born.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Man I really enjoyed reading what I have to this point. Thank you for sharing as I enjoy reading about history especially the stuff that gets omitted from the text books. Tagged for later to read the whole thing.

Comment

I don't know if I would want to know about my lineage. All I really know is what my grandparents told me, which wasn't much at all, especially from my dads side.

If yall will help me out. What is yalls reason behind researching your lineage? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                                X