Dog breed recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
    have to disagree with the boxer not being a good watch dog,,,, mine have all been extremely good,,, even walking around on my land if anything moves or he hears anything he always puts himself between me and the object,,, let him out of the house and if there is a new stick on the ground he will take a protective posture until he knows it is safe, if a car slows down in front of the house he will sound off and hit the fence if he is outside if he is inside he will check all the doors, he is very intimidating without being overly aggressive.... now my lab would run over the tractor and not see it,,,, she barks and anything, everything and nothing,,, when they are both outside I don't pay any attention to her barking but when the boxer barks I am up immediately because something is wrong!
    If challenged they will back down. Most dogs will. Finding a hard dog is not easy. 90% will back down or run in fear. Boxers are not even in the discussion. Sorry.

You did say watchdog. Most dogs bark or alert to strange things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 06-13-2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
      Belgian Malinois. Greatest, most versatile breed on earth.
      You are such a bad stalker. They are not vesatile at all. They may be the top high drive working dog. That will be challenged by the west German working line GSD.

Do you enjoy making yourself look like a complete idiot? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
        You are such a bad stalker. They are not vesatile at all. They may be the top high drive working dog. That will be challenged by the west German working line GSD.

Do you enjoy making yourself look like a complete idiot? Lol.

Calm down. It's google!

Comment

Look at an Airdale, by far the greatest most versatile breed on earth, and they are hypoallergenic to boot

(bred) "originally to serve as a versatile hunting and all around working farm dog. In Britain this breed has also been used as a war dog, guide dog and police dog. In the United States, this breed has been used to hunt big game, upland birds, and water fowl, and serve in many other working capacities."

Comment

Wow. Went from dog recommendations to 100 real quick. TBH

Comment

If challenged they will back down. Most dogs will. Finding a hard dog is not easy. 90% will back down or run in fear. Boxers are not even in the discussion. Sorry.

You’re generalizing.

I’ve got a heeler/aussie mix that will chew a hole through anyone deemed not welcome, had a shorthair that would too. I’m not particular fan of boxers, but I’ve seen some that would not “back down”. Breeds have tendencies, but the environment they are raised/trained in matters as much or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicilian View Post
                Black and Tan Coonhound

Good looking hound! My grandpa used to have 4 of em he’d hunt. One of my favorite breeds.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                  Look at an Airdale, by far the greatest most versatile breed on earth, and they are hypoallergenic to boot

(bred) "originally to serve as a versatile hunting and all around working farm dog. In Britain this breed has also been used as a war dog, guide dog and police dog. In the United States, this breed has been used to hunt big game, upland birds, and water fowl, and serve in many other working capacities."
                  I can agree with this they’re pretty good dogs

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post

Rut Roh!

Comment

I would stir away from blue lacy, BMC, and catahoula type dogs. They are all working type breeds that are high prey drive, high energy, and hard headed. These traits often makes them poor pets unless they get tons of exercise. In short they need a real jog to be happy.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        You’re generalizing.

I’ve got a heeler/aussie mix that will chew a hole through anyone deemed not welcome, had a shorthair that would too. I’m not particular fan of boxers, but I’ve seen some that would not “back down”. Breeds have tendencies, but the environment they are raised/trained in matters as much or more.

Negative. 90% of dogs will back down when challenged by a large, loud male. Done it and seen it done a ton of times in my profession.

Comment

Negative. 90% of dogs will back down when challenged by a large, loud male. Done it and seen it done a ton of times in my profession.

The dog whisperer isn't large or loud and he sure likes to fight with dogs lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Google. It's commonly known.

Military
                            Police
                            Drug detection
                            Bomb detection
                            Border patrol
                            Herding
                            Search and rescue
                            Family protector
                            Guard dog
                            IPO/Schutzhund
                            Seeing eye dog

I'm sure I missed some.

I recently met one that was trained to detect seizures that were coming before the handler would have any indication. This type detection has always amazed me.
                            As far as a family dog goes, we have a 16 month old Golden Retriever that has absolutely won every heart she comes across. Besides being a beautiful girl, she lives for rides in the Jeep (naked is her preference), she has picked up everything I've tried to show her that I want her to do. Besides to normal commands she can put something in the trash or the recycle bin and knows the difference at home. We are working on public spaces. This takes a little longer most of the time. She goes about everywhere I go if they allow pets. Loads up on command and will wait on me to take her somewhere if she thinks it has been too long.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

90%...maybe. That still leaves a hell of a lot of dogs that won’t, and they ain’t all shepherds or rotts or pinchers. You can’t just pigeon hole every breed.

This idiot blue dog I’ve got was not backing down when my dad came in my back gate with a 2X4 cussing and swinging.[emoji23]

We ain’t even gonna talk about Fred’s mad dog relentless ***! He’d turn that GSD inside out and hang him out to dry!

Fred’ll hurt a MF.[emoji23]

Comment

sorry but mine have not,,, neither have the boxadors i have had.....

Comment

Working...
                                X