Protein ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein ?

Saw a thread in Around the Campfire that made me remember a conversation with a Wildlife Biologist a couple weeks ago.
    He said that feeding protein would weaken deer because over a period of time it made it harder for their system to process lower grade protein in their normal food. That short term bigger racks weakened the herd long term and if taken away the heard would go down quickly.
    I don't feed but he made what seems like a good point.
    What do you other Biologist say.

Protein is supposed to be a supplement not a full diet. Not a supplement for a habitat over carrying capacity.

Comment

Like anything in the wild they go for what's easy. Having it available won't it become more relied upon?
      He was speaking about High Fence conditions on food and blood line in long term.
      This all started when talking about deer 25 years ago and where it seems to be going. Not saying right or wrong just there were some interesting points brought up.

Comment

Originally posted by Saddle Tramp View Post
        Like anything in the wild they go for what's easy. Having it available won't it become more relied upon?
        He was speaking about High Fence conditions on food and blood line in long term.
        This all started when talking about deer 25 years ago and where it seems to be going. Not saying right or wrong just there were some interesting points brought up.
        On my small LF place they go to it when they need it. When they don't, I can go months without needing to fill a feeder. When it is really dry, I can't go 7-21 days depending on the feeder. Just because you feed protein does not mean the deer forget how to eat native forage. They prefer it and will always. I know of a HF operation that does not feed any protein at all and still raise some really big bucks. He will supplement WCS when it is dry post rut or later on if it gets dry in the spring or summer. Rest of the year nothing but what is available in the habitat. Might not use WCS any some years. Also, genetics is not listed on any feed label. There are ranches that only feed protein from Feb/Mar till Sept 1st. The deer on those ranches do fine on what is available at that time of the year. Now if the ranch has tails sticking out of the fence and the deer are eating 100% of their diet at a feeder then it is a totally different situation. Of course the ranch will look like a park.

Comment

Working...
        X