No announcement yet.

Metal roofs. What do I need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd take the shingles off, use quality synthetic underlayment, and do what Metalmangeorge reccomends.....all the while checking with YOUR insurance company about the things Rod (AtFulldraw) said.

Comment

I was going to do it myself and thank God I didn't. On my rent house I went the cheap route and hired 4 day laborers and went with tin on that house. It cost me
      MORE than if I hired a reputable company.

With my house we went with R-panel and I was about to do it myself when the Mueller Metal mcompany measurer guy came out. I asked what hwe would charge to install it and he said $1500 if I bought tha materials.

I wound up going with Joe Ochoa roofing out of Stafford, Texas. He charged me $6000 on my 1900 sq ft home for material labor total. There is no way in heck I would have come out on top had I tried it myself. Even if I did come out ahead, we are talking a few hundred buck and 4 days worth of back breaking hot BS labor. No way, I will sit in the shade with a cooler full of Shiner Bock and a brisket on the pit and yall tell me when yall are done.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
        I can give you one suggestion, do not use the company that is installing my roof, they have been trying for 4 weeks, they have the trim on and that is it, I know it has rained a bunch but there has been at least 12 days out of the 4 weeks that they could have worked. Had I not given them over 50 % down I would be finding a new contractor.
        Well they finished my roof up yesterday, I think it was almost 4 months from start to finish, used four different install crews, it looks ok but there are many things that need to be repaired, I just pray to God that it does not leak, we are going to start sheetrock next week, no rain in sight, imagine that, the rain is the main reason it took so long. This has been a bad experience for us, the only good thing is i am holding the final payment of 10K dollars, no way I am releasing that money until I am 100 percent sure the roof is ok.

Comment

Im putting this back up.

Different house. So no low pitch. kinda broken up. I know ill get some grief from some, but we have decided to go u panel or r panel.

I am trying to figure out why not to go over the shingles? the decking is solid. except for one place. So I that will be done

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
            Im putting this back up.

Different house. So no low pitch. kinda broken up. I know ill get some grief from some, but we have decided to go u panel or r panel.

I am trying to figure out why not to go over the shingles? the decking is solid. except for one place. So I that will be done
            Crazy amount of weight on the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
              Crazy amount of weight on the roof.
              from metal? that does not seem like sheet metal adds much weight

Comment

My house has 1 layer of wood shingles, 2 layers of comp. shingles then metal on top. As for the weight, snow or ice buildup would be the only concern. This far south I doubt that will ever be a problem. It insulates well also. Don't know that it is raining 'till we see it dripping off the overhang.
                I talked with a friend from up north that has metal on his roof and was told not to do gutters because of ice. When it thaws and turns loose, huge sheets WILL come sliding down. Do NOT be standing underneath when this happens. With gutters, they can get torn off as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                  My house has 1 layer of wood shingles, 2 layers of comp. shingles then metal on top. As for the weight, snow or ice buildup would be the only concern. This far south I doubt that will ever be a problem. It insulates well also. Don't know that it is raining 'till we see it dripping off the overhang.
                  I talked with a friend from up north that has metal on his roof and was told not to do gutters because of ice. When it thaws and turns loose, huge sheets WILL come sliding down. Do NOT be standing underneath when this happens. With gutters, they can get torn off as well.
                  It will be a cold day in hell for me to worry about snow and ice buildup!

Shingles are 3.5lbs ish per sq ft. Metal is 1lb

Comment

I was talking about putting a metal roof over an existing shingle roof, and yes it adds a lot of weight. I’m also guessing it voids your warranty on the metal roof as well. I also would guess if you had some structural problem your home owners insurance would deny the claim. You can do what you want, it’s your home not mine.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                      I was talking about putting a metal roof over an existing shingle roof, and yes it adds a lot of weight. I’m also guessing it voids your warranty on the metal roof as well. I also would guess if you had some structural problem your home owners insurance would deny the claim. You can do what you want, it’s your home not mine.

Thats what I am talking about too. Not trying to argue, i appreciate the knowledge and advice. Are you in the metal roofing business or personal experience?

Just trying to get the whole picture. It seems like the industry is split. A lot say no way and the con is the extra weight.

A lot say do it. easier cheaper, better r value. etc.

Windstorm says its okay. Homeowners says its okay. City says its okay.

Comment

Nothing wrong with putting metal over shingles...I did it 2 years ago.
                        Had a builder tell me it would be fine

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                          Nothing wrong with putting metal over shingles...I did it 2 years ago.
                          Had a builder tell me it would be fine
                          What kind of metal roof?

Did you install 1x4s first?

Comment

I have installed several metal roofs over the years some on new houses some remodels. If i went over shingles or not I use 1x4 lathing on 3’ centers and screw it down with 2” screws. As far as weight metal roofing is lighter than asphalt shingles it’s less than 1lb per sqft. I actually just installed a new U panel roof on my house in April and I went over the shingles. Metal roofing is pretty easy to install if you are using U panels or R panels. Standing seam is a little more tricky.

Comment

What kind of metal roof?

Did you install 1x4s first?
                              r panel
                              I did install 1x4's but only because the roof had several sagging spots on it.
                              They do not need to be there if the current roof is pretty good

Comment

Im putting this back up.

you can do whatever you like, just know that the better way is to rip off the current roof and do it right.

Comment

Working...
                                X