Val Verde County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made it out this past weekend...

and it sure was green! The greenest I've seen it for the start of August. However, it was 109 degrees at the camp house Saturday afternoon!

Comment

That's awesome! We are headed up there in 2v weeks! Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Howdy

Hello folks. This will be my first post on here. I've come across this forum several times while googling random stuff about deer hunting, but never joined, because I'm not much of a bowhunter. I have a bow, but it hasn't made its way to a stand in several years.

I have been on THF for a while, and have made an occasional post for a few years, but it seems like that forum is slowing way down and this one looks pretty active still. I really enjoy learning and exchanging information about hunting whitetails in Texas, more particularly in the area I'm hunting.

I manage a 7,700 acre low fence lease close to Juno. We have had 5k acres for 5 years and I added another 2,700 this year. I take responsibility of keeping all feeders full, as well as running game cameras.

We currently have 16 feed stations, with pens around them. All but one have a protein feeder and corn feeder. I think I have 14 cameras out right now. I have plans to set up a few more stations on the new acreage that I acquired this year (Hopefully before this season starts). It has become quite a job, but I'm learning all the time how to better manage a hunting property, as well as my time. I don't have any financial gain from it, and I have acquired way too many cameras and feeders. I do this because I really enjoy getting away from my office and this computer.

The drought had hit this property really hard when I started, and it hadn't been fed anything for several years. The deer there had never seen a protein feeder. I had a 1k pound protein feeder that I didn't need to fill for over a year. Corn piled up and started growing under some of the feeders. I remember one spot we set up a corn feeder and a protein feeder with a camera, came back 60 days later, with about 300 pounds of corn under the feeder, and the camera had one picture of a deer, and then us showing up to check the camera. It was tough and discouraging. Most of the guys that we had didn't set up feeders like we all agreed, and we were lucky to see a couple of deer in a sitting. The second year I took it upon myself to make sure we had the place set up "right", and took over feeding duties.

Fast forward to now, and I don't have any of the original lease members left. We fed around 15 tons so far this year, and I would guess we have quadrupled the population of deer on the place. Our age structure needs some work, but we are recovering from the drought, and should have several good years ahead of us. Our middle aged bucks are coming on strong. I went from having trouble filling the lease to having to turn people away. We have killed some good deer on the property over the years. We still haven't broke 150", but that is my next goal.

2016 harvest was slower than I expected. We didn't take any of the top end bucks that we had on the hit list. We saw tons of good middle aged bucks that show lots of promise. That mild winter made it really easy for the good'uns to make the slip.

I look forward to sharing updates and learning from all you guys.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post
            Hello folks. This will be my first post on here. I've come across this forum several times while googling random stuff about deer hunting, but never joined, because I'm not much of a bowhunter. I have a bow, but it hasn't made its way to a stand in several years.

I have been on THF for a while, and have made an occasional post for a few years, but it seems like that forum is slowing way down and this one looks pretty active still. I really enjoy learning and exchanging information about hunting whitetails in Texas, more particularly in the area I'm hunting.

I manage a 7,700 acre low fence lease close to Juno. We have had 5k acres for 5 years and I added another 2,700 this year. I take responsibility of keeping all feeders full, as well as running game cameras.

We currently have 16 feed stations, with pens around them. All but one have a protein feeder and corn feeder. I think I have 14 cameras out right now. I have plans to set up a few more stations on the new acreage that I acquired this year (Hopefully before this season starts). It has become quite a job, but I'm learning all the time how to better manage a hunting property, as well as my time. I don't have any financial gain from it, and I have acquired way too many cameras and feeders. I do this because I really enjoy getting away from my office and this computer.

The drought had hit this property really hard when I started, and it hadn't been fed anything for several years. The deer there had never seen a protein feeder. I had a 1k pound protein feeder that I didn't need to fill for over a year. Corn piled up and started growing under some of the feeders. I remember one spot we set up a corn feeder and a protein feeder with a camera, came back 60 days later, with about 300 pounds of corn under the feeder, and the camera had one picture of a deer, and then us showing up to check the camera. It was tough and discouraging. Most of the guys that we had didn't set up feeders like we all agreed, and we were lucky to see a couple of deer in a sitting. The second year I took it upon myself to make sure we had the place set up "right", and took over feeding duties.

Fast forward to now, and I don't have any of the original lease members left. We fed around 15 tons so far this year, and I would guess we have quadrupled the population of deer on the place. Our age structure needs some work, but we are recovering from the drought, and should have several good years ahead of us. Our middle aged bucks are coming on strong. I went from having trouble filling the lease to having to turn people away. We have killed some good deer on the property over the years. We still haven't broke 150", but that is my next goal.

2016 harvest was slower than I expected. We didn't take any of the top end bucks that we had on the hit list. We saw tons of good middle aged bucks that show lots of promise. That mild winter made it really easy for the good'uns to make the slip.

Welcome man! Feel free to share some camera pics as I will also and ask any questions you need.
            Sounds like your doing things right to get your place up and rolling.

These past rains should help out tremendously

Comment

Thanks pard. I'll start sharing some photos soon.

Comment

Glad you made it this way Jhef. This board seems to stay lively through the year, not just during deer season. I think this thread is fast becoming what the old VV thread was on THF. Welcome.

Comment

Any of yall had any good rain lately? I was down a week ago and mid-July.

Both times I was there we had scattered showers, but it was real spotty. Some parts of our place had water standing in the roads, others didn't even get a single drop. Overall really dry and everything is burnt up over the last 30 days.

I think these showers over the last couple days missed us too.

Comment

I haven't been since June but it rained when I was there on our place. I want h the radar and it shows we get some more than I thought. Hopefully it's correct

Comment

I was out there last weekend. The country got some rain about two weeks ago and everything I saw was very green. It rained on us last Saturday night, but it was very light. All along I-10 from Junction to Sonora to Ozona was very green for this time of year. Usually it's all dried up.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
                        I haven't been since June but it rained when I was there on our place. I want h the radar and it shows we get some more than I thought. Hopefully it's correct

I will call my neighbor and see if got any of that Cell that went through yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by jheflinland View Post

A couple of things buddy. Welcome to the green screen ! We are close to Juno as well and have been for several years..... it took us about 4 yrs of feeding "protein" to break the 150 mark, here's an example of what the goal is (165) 3 yrs ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                            A couple of things buddy. Welcome to the green screen ! We are close to Juno as well and have been for several years..... it took us about 4 yrs of feeding "protein" to break the 150 mark, here's an example of what the goal is (165) 3 yrs ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            That is pretty much the goal! We have had two unconfirmed, unrecovered "kills" that I think would have been over 150, just really unlucky I guess. Maybe it will happen this year.

The deer you just posted is giving me flashbacks. I swear I have some game cam photos of him from 2013. Let me see if I can find them.

Comment

That is one awesome buck BTW

Comment

Is this the same deer?

Last edited by jheflinland; 08-08-2017, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X