Bentonite in pond.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bentonite in pond.....

........when it's full of water ? My pond has leaked its entire life, mainly because of poor soils but you got what you got, right ? It has gotten better over the years and has really slowed down the last couple years with the heavy rains we've had. So today was the day we put 20 sacks of bentonite in it to try and seal the leak. I had my son and his buddy to do the actual work and I just toted the 2,000 lb. of bentonite to the pond and watched. That's the only advantage of old age that I've found. I hope it works !
    Attached Files

Bentonite in pond.....

Following. Mine wont hold water either but I don’t want to waste a bunch of $$ on bentonite and it not work. I’m think about just putting a liner in it and being done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Go to www.pondboss.com - ask those guys - experts for the experts - their forum is great -

Comment

In for the results. Good luck

Comment

Good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Good luck! I’m staying tuned...I have a tank doing the same thing....

Comment

I have never seen it done this way. I have used bentonite many times with good results in ponds and irrigation canals. I have always incorporated it into the soil then filling with water, hope this works out for you.

Comment

I’d be surprised if this worked.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  I’d be surprised if this worked.
                  I've seen it work in reserve pits several times as a fix for leaks in the pit walls. Don't know if it will work here but I'm hoping.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    I have never seen it done this way. I have used bentonite many times with good results in ponds and irrigation canals. I have always incorporated it into the soil then filling with water, hope this works out for you.
                    Thought about that too, but then I'd have to wait until the pond was dry and I can still do that if I have to. This way, if it doesn't work, I'm out $541 and free labor, so it was worth a try.

My thought process was: If the natural clay siltation from runoff is slowing the leak down, then why wouldn't a concentrated application of bentonite clay (right on top of the leak) work better ? We'll see.....

Comment

I have tried it twice the first time just dumping it in dry from a boat it did not work for me
                      The second time I got 2 trucks of slurry from a city water well just drilled they pumped it in while driving around the tank it clouded up the water but was clear the next day when it settled I did not lose any fish and it worked that was 15 years ago

Comment

Man i hope it works for you. I wouldn't buy anymore until you see if this initial amount does. Our pond still leaks after the previous owner spent upwards of 40k on truck loads of that stuff. The only ponds that hold water in our areas, are the ones with cows in them. The old timers say cattle is the only key to get them to hold.

Best of luck!

Case

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                          This. I've always heard you have to plow it into a dry pond bottom. I hope it works though.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                            Man i hope it works for you. I wouldn't buy anymore until you see if this initial amount does. Our pond still leaks after the previous owner spent upwards of 40k on truck loads of that stuff. The only ponds that hold water in our areas, are the ones with cows in them. The old timers say cattle is the only key to get them to hold.

Best of luck!

Case

Got to have some clay in the soil for ponds to seal -

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                              Got to have some clay in the soil for ponds to seal -
                              Agreed, but I haven't heard of the cattle requirement before. In for results, and hope it works for you OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X