Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #51
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I'm 31?
buy stock in apple, google, and yahoo.
buy whatever the hell i wanted in a few years.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #52
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Public land is nice, but nothing like owning your own. Just driving in the gates gives me a child on christmas day feeling. I'm sure it will wear off eventually and it's not fun writting the checks but it is a piece of dirt with my name on it. When I was a teenager we lived on a big ranch that someone else owned and I had 1,000s of other family friend land to roam on. But it wasn't ours, I always had to worry about what the landowner/boss would say if I made ruts or did something wrong. Same with a lease nowadays. On my land I do as i please and come and go as I please. No restrictions, and best of all if one of these days my girls have families of their own I can maybe take my grandkids out there to teach them the outdoors.

Owning land isn't for everyone and has different meanings for everyone. From where I came from as a kid I never really thought that I would own my own land, it's been a true blessing!

OP with all that said, I would still buy as big as you can afford where you can easily enjoy it. If you don't have children yet take that into consideration because they will def change things financially but especially time wise once they get active.
Good luck!
Absolutely agree with you. I wanted to give OP an option 3, because it's working for us. I grew up hunting 50 acres of private in WI that my parents own, that they live on as well. Nothing better then waking up 20 min before light and being in the stand 10 min before shooting light.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #53
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

No brainer.

A.

screw a neighborhood and neighbors.
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 PM   #54
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
I'm 31?
buy stock in apple, google, and yahoo.
buy whatever the hell i wanted in a few years.
Do you even Ripple, bro?
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #55
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Do you even Ripple, bro?
I ripple. I ripple a lot.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #56
gmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt County

In my opinion you need to do some serious soul searching about whatís going to make you happy. 4 years ago at age 33 I bought some land 30 minutes from my house. Very similar to your situation, we were happy with our neighbor hood and kids schools and didnít want to leave that. Fast forward to now at age 37 we are building a barndo on that property and moving out there permanent. It turned into our happy place and changed our view on the neighborhood life. Canít wait to get our house sold and live on my happy place.
gmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #57
breederbuck33
Ten Point

We're in the same boat. We're leaning towards B, but not that far away from town.
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #58
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

More and more people are moving out of the crazy city life....which doesn't help land prices
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #59
Razrbk89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Northern & Eastern Arkansas

There are certainly pros and cons to both. Living a decent clip from town comes with its pains, for sure.

Gravel tears up tires/vehicles, burn a lot more gas.
Takes forever to get to work, the store, school, practices, etc.
Kids don’t have any friends to play with
Utilities are expensive
You may not get mail, trash, & will have bad/no internet
Might have to have a well all the joys that accompany that

Trying to take care of a place over a dang hour from your house seems like it would be hard/impossible. I guess I’d go with A if I had to get out of the current situation & choose one.

Also, the people saying “land always goes up” are wrong.

Last edited by Razrbk89; 05-11-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #60
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

i went option B. can't convince my wife to move out to the country permanently. we LOVE our neighbors in the city (and schools) - any weekend we aren't at the property (usually twice a month), we are in the front yards with the neighbors having drinks and a firepit while all the kids play. good thing is our place is 70 miles away.

some say why not enjoy the country everyday! truth is that is very hard when you work a full time job, then add in a possibly longer commute, homework, etc. most of the fun would be had on the weekends anyway.

i'm also not in the sports family group. i cannot imagine even spending half the time that some spend on sports - it simply isn't rewarding to me and my kids. if that was a priority for us, then the weekend property would lose tremendous value/reward in my mind....
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #61
meangreen04
Eight Point

Option B for sure
meangreen04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #62
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County
Default Owning Land Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
with the growth in every direction out there won't be out there in 30 yrs, or 10........I'm on 30 acres and in a couple of yrs the north dallas tollway will be about 5 miles from me....my last place was on 5 acres in Frisco on Preston rd, which was hwy 289.....nice and quiet, surrounded by thousands of acres of open land I hunted and we rode our horses.....go by it now.....6 lane road, more like a freeway.....pool store across the road...new subdivisions.....house is still there and my boot is still on the fence post.....at one time it was way out there

I remember when Frisco was just a 2A school with a stoplight in town. Iím not that old either. Everywhere we farmed around there is covered up in concrete and asphalt now. Itís mind blowing, but has made a lot of folks rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #63
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

I am in the process of going with choice A right now. Iím done with the city, the people and the constant hustle and bustle. With my job I only drive in 10 days a month so a 75 mile commute isnít bad. Iím ready for the peace and quiet!!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #64
deerslay3r
Six Point

Hunt In: waelder,somerville

Gearing up for option A right now. We can't afford to have a mortgage and a land note on top of child care, vehicles, insurance etc....
deerslay3r is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 01:57 PM   #65
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

Last year we were getting really sick of the rapid growth in the New Caney area and had the same dilemma. The only difference is that my wife had just inherited 100 acres from her Granny about 2.5 hours north of us near Henderson. We ultimately decided to buy a 2 acres and a house outside of Livingston which is 45 miles from my job and 20 miles for my wife. We are going to wait until our youngest (11years old) is out of school before we make our final move up to the country. I'll only be 46 so hopefully I'll have years to enjoy it. In the meantime, we are very happy with our decision. I don't mind the 45 mile drive at all...it takes me 37 minutes. Our place is very quiet and we have deer at the feeder daily to watch. One neighbor has 4 acres and the other has 2 and there is woods behind and in front of us. We definitely feel like we have way more than 2 acres. I figure by the time my son graduates, this place will be worth way more and we'll take our equity and head up to a bigger piece of land.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 10:55 PM   #66
Booner Sooner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southeastern Oklahoma

Always go bigger. That was the decision that my wife and I made. Last year we were in the same dilemma. We closed on our place in late March. It is farther than you are talking (3 1/2 hours) but we are tickled.

That is what worked for us. Iíd stay in prayer and seek His will for your family.
Booner Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top