Anyone hunt in Duval/Jim Wells county?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunt in Duval/Jim Wells county?

I have an opportunity to hunt on some untouched 100acres sitting between Palito Blanco and Benavides. I dont get to hunt often so im pretty hyped about being able to go here although some older posts tend to disappoint me saying it's prone for theft and poaching. I cant seem to find anything recent though. Anyone have any input? I cant hunt sitting at home so ill be out there regardless but dont have high expectations. At that its been a couple months since ive shot my bow so atleast i have a place to do that now.

I just got back from hunting 4 days just out of Concepcion. Fine hunting in that area if you find a place that's not shot out.

Comment

I hunt south of Benavides. Are you talking off 2295?

Like a lot of place some areas are better than others. As long as the neighbors don't have a "brown and down" policy and there aren't any poachers it may be a nice place. Lots of country out there has been over hunted and poached heavily, especially going further north towards San Diego.

Our area used to be subpar for the longest time. I remember being at my grandparents when I was younger, almost every evening during deer season I'd see spotlights turn on down the county road as soon as the sun went down. Fortunately it's not much of a problem for us anymore.

Either way, enjoy your time out there! I've learned over the years it's not always about the kill!

To give you a little motivation, this was our place last Thursday.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	24523729

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
        I just got back from hunting 4 days just out of Concepcion. Fine hunting in that area if you find a place that's not shot out.
        Where did you hunt? I'm not far from there at all.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
          Where did you hunt? I'm not far from there at all.
          Right off 1345. Friend of mine has about 350 acres there. Saw a mature buck but couldn't get a shot on him.

Comment

Not to discourage you but imo there's too many 100, 300, 500 acre places being hunted (I hunt one too) that result in decent bucks getting shot before they show true potential. But, this year I've seen more bucks than I have in 20+ years of hunting this same land.

Edit: actually this wasn't the nature of your post. You have nothing to lose. Go hunt it!

Comment

I hunt just inside of Jim Wells county south of San Diego. The other posters have hit the nail on the head. It all comes down to your neighbors and surrounding area. You will either have deer or it will be shot out.

Comment

May be shot out may not be

Comment

hunt hunt and hunt...enjoy the outdoors

Comment

We hunt between San Jose and Benevides. Decent deer population on our lease.

Comment

Originally posted by OS_BRANDON View Post
                      I have an opportunity to hunt on some untouched 100acres sitting between Palito Blanco and Benavides. I dont get to hunt often so im pretty hyped about being able to go here although some older posts tend to disappoint me saying it's prone for theft and poaching. I cant seem to find anything recent though. Anyone have any input? I cant hunt sitting at home so ill be out there regardless but dont have high expectations. At that its been a couple months since ive shot my bow so atleast i have a place to do that now.

sorry, there isn't a square inch of land around benavides that hasn't been hunted.

Comment

My family has 640 acres a few miles due South of Realitos. Last weekend, bucks were ruttin' hard. Saw several chasing at noon.

Agree with the above comment. Just because the landowner doesn't hunt it, doesn't mean it's not hunted. We have lots of poaching on our place. Good luck regardless!

Comment

Yeah it would be quite a bummer if i saw any recent sign of people on that property as it hardly ever gets touched, the landowner is my stepmom and she doesnt like the place much. Only thing is id hate to put a feeder and trailcam over there just to have it stolen.Hoping i can scope it out soon before the season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post

sorry, there isn't a square inch of land around benavides that hasn't been hunted.

lol, well hopefully this place doesnt have anybody on it. it'd be pretty disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                              I hunt south of Benavides. Are you talking off 2295?

Like a lot of place some areas are better than others. As long as the neighbors don't have a "brown and down" policy and there aren't any poachers it may be a nice place. Lots of country out there has been over hunted and poached heavily, especially going further north towards San Diego.

Our area used to be subpar for the longest time. I remember being at my grandparents when I was younger, almost every evening during deer season I'd see spotlights turn on down the county road as soon as the sun went down. Fortunately it's not much of a problem for us anymore.

Either way, enjoy your time out there! I've learned over the years it's not always about the kill!

To give you a little motivation, this was our place last Thursday.
                              [ATTACH]889792[/ATTACH]
                              heck yeah thats awesome id love to get anything close to that on that property. Its off 1329 pretty close to the jim wells sheriffs dept. so hopefully thatll help some with worrying about thieves.

Comment

Working...
                              X