No announcement yet.

Worth even trying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe wait till you here back from GW? Crazy, i know.

Comment

Seems like between the guy's license log, pics of the deer, and the possibility of the guy having a sub 13" buck's antlers in his possession there might be something the game warden can find to stick if the game warden wants to pursue it.

Comment

What are your thoughts on the Freak width?

11"-12"

Out of velvet he looked smaller.

If legal then good for him. Too close for my comfort. I just don't like that he went over the limit and can't control his itchy trigger finger.

Comment

When I was a young man hunting my great aunt's property every year, it was hard at best to find a nice buck come hunting season. I would see them prior, then mostly small bucks during season.

I would hear a lot of rifle shots during archery season. Turns out there was a guy that had land bordering our property, and of course we knew him. One day my older brother took me and we stopped by the guys house. He showed us inside his barn, and he had more buck antlers in velvet than I have ever seen in my life. Poacher.

I was young enough when my brother told me not to turn him in, I didn't. This was in the sticks in AR, and back then folks would show up dead for crossing the wrong person. Once the guy died, I started seeing nicer bucks and in 2000 killed my biggest buck to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
            What are your thoughts on the Freak width?

11"-12"

Out of velvet he looked smaller.

If legal then good for him. Too close for my comfort. I just don't like that he went over the limit and can't control his itchy trigger finger.
            I think the split beam deer looks right at 13". Too close for me to be comfortable as well.

Comment

I think you did all you can do and hopefully the GW watches the party in question more closely.

The freak looks awfully close to me, but have been right at 13. Like you, I probably wouldn't have shot him, but it would have been hard.

Comment

It would seem to me if you have pics of both bucks last year and showed them to the game warden and the suspect has both of those racks in possession it would be an easy case of shooting two bucks in 1 Buck of 13" county plus one of them might be under.

Comment

I don't know about you but I get ****** off every time one of our 10-acre neighbor shoots one of our dear

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                    It would seem to me if you have pics of both bucks last year and showed them to the game warden and the suspect has both of those racks in possession it would be an easy case of shooting two bucks in 1 Buck of 13" county plus one of them might be under.
                    Sounds like it would be black/white, but what if he says he shot one and his kid or wife or girlfriend shot the other......? Would be hard to prove otherwise at this point in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                      Sounds like it would be black/white, but what if he says he shot one and his kid or wife or girlfriend shot the other......? Would be hard to prove otherwise at this point in the game.
                      True but there is always the deer log on the back of the license and also may not have even bothered to tag the deer. Never no though at least gets him on the radar of the GW.

Comment

Call the prospective perp and play friendly. Talk about management goals, deer populations, blah blah...bring beer. Get him lubed and see if you can befriend him to expose the harvested critters from last year. Maybe encourage him to let some walk and see how he takes it.

Give him some rope and see if he hangs himself.

Comment

If nothing else, if you told your story to a GW and presented him with what evidence you have, it would at least raise their awareness of the guy so maybe they can watch him a little closer in the future for violations. If he's an illegal hunter, he's not likely to change his habits and maybe he can be caught.
                          I sure agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                            I don't know about you but I get ****** off every time one of our 10-acre neighbor shoots one of our dear
                            One of "your" deer? Say what?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              If nothing else, if you told your story to a GW and presented him with what evidence you have, it would at least raise their awareness of the guy so maybe they can watch him a little closer in the future for violations. If he's an illegal hunter, he's not likely to change his habits and maybe he can be caught.
                              This is probably true.

If I were you OP I wouldn't expect anything to come of it to be honest.
                              If the GW asks him and he says his wife or child shot one (rather they actually did or didn't) and doesn't say much else then what more can really be done?

Comment

Can’t hurt to give it a shot. Worst case nothing comes of it but maybe it’ll put him on the GW’s radar

Comment

Working...
                                X