No announcement yet.

Saskatchewan Whitetail - LIVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope y'all are celebrating. If not, with a day and a half to go, I'm curious to know what Jim is asking for the rental of his backup rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea I hope he did well today. Cold as it is I would have given up the bow a while back lol.

Comment

Good Luck

Comment

I learned a long time ago, duck and goose hunting in Katy, that sometimes you can kill a limit with a tennis racquet and other times you can’t get a bird to decoy to save your life. Well, in regards to this week, it appears that we are fighting through the latter. Thankfully, my dad taught me at a young age that if you love the process of hunting/fishing, you will always leave the field happy. If you rate your trip by what you catch and/or shoot, there will be a lot of ups and downs along the way.

That said, here is an update on today (I had spotty cell service in the blind, so sorry for the delayed write up)...

Today was the coldest day yet. I took the advice of someone who posted, and regularly drew my bow to make sure everything was working properly. Each time I drew it you could hear it creak like an old wooden staircase. After hearing that, and wanting to be warmer on our last day, I have reluctantly decided to move to the boom stick for tomorrow.

As far as deer activity today, I only saw two does, a young fork horn, and a young 8. While it’s a bad week to be a marginal buck, I haven’t seen anything marginal enough to let an arrow fly. That said, all can change tomorrow. And it better, because tomorrow is our last day. Wish us luck!!

And for those who are considering a trip like this, below are a few lessons I’ve learned throughout this trip...

1. If you are going to bow hunt, make sure your bow is well-maintained because this weather will expose any structural issues you might have.

2. If you are going to bow hunt, make sure you practice drawing your bow in ALL of the clothes you plan on wearing. I practiced in a heavy jacket but I didn’t practice in two base layers, a Carhartt vest, heavy jacket, gloves, heavy face mask, etc. And just remember, if you struggle to draw your bow in that heavy gear, the physical exhaustion from sitting in the freezing cold is only going to make it more difficult. I got stuck the first time I tried to draw it in the blind today. While it took me some time, I finally got to/through the valley consistently. I’m glad I didn’t learn that lesson when I had a stud buck in range.

3. If you gun hunt DO NOT oil your gun before you make the trip. Any excess oil will turn into a syrupy consistency and can impede your bolt and/or firing pins. Two guys here had to borrow guns because theirs were locked up (gun oil gummed up around their firing pins).

Hope this help those who are thinking of making the trip one day!
          Last edited by Buckley99; 11-09-2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
            I learned a long time ago, duck and goose hunting in Katy, that sometimes you can kill a limit with a tennis racquet and other times you can’t get a bird to decoy to save your life. Well, in regards to this week, it appears that we are fighting through the latter. Thankfully, my dad taught me at a young age that if you love the process of hunting/fishing, you will always leave the field happy. If you rate your trip by what you catch and/or shoot, there will be a lot of ups and downs along the way.

That said, here is an update on today (I had spotty cell service in the blind, so sorry for the delayed write up)...

Today was the coldest day yet. I took the advice of someone who posted, and regularly drew my bow to make sure everything was working properly. Each time I drew it you could hear it creak like an old wooden staircase. After hearing that, and wanting to be warmer on our last day, I have reluctantly decided to move to the boom stick for tomorrow.

As far as deer activity today, I only saw two does, a young fork horn, and a young 8. While it’s a bad week to be a marginal buck, I haven’t seen anything marginal enough to let an arrow fly. That said, all can change tomorrow. And it better, because tomorrow is our last day. Wish us luck!!

And for those who are considering a trip like this, below are a few lessons I’ve learned throughout this trip...

1. If you are going to bow hunt, make sure your bow is well-maintained because this weather will expose any structural issues you might have.

2. If you are going to bow hunt, make sure you practice drawing your bow in ALL of the clothes you plan on wearing. I practiced in a heavy jacket but I didn’t practice in two base layers, a Carhartt vest, heavy jacket, gloves, heavy face mask, etc. And just remember, if you struggle to draw your bow in that heavy gear, the physical exhaustion from sitting in the freezing cold is only going to make it more difficult. I got stuck the first time I tried to draw it in the blind today. While it took me some time, I finally got to/through the valley consistently. I’m glad I didn’t learn that lesson when I had a stud buck in range.

3. If you gun hunt DO NOT oil your gun before you make the trip. Any excess oil will turn into a syrupy consistency and can impede your bolt and/or firing pins. Two guys here had to borrow guns because theirs were locked up (gun oil gummed up around their firing pins).

Hope this help those who are thinking of making the trip one day!
            Good advice. My 2nd or 3rd yr hunting Kansas in 15 degree weather, after sitting frozen, I had a 170-180 class at 10/15 yds for several minutes and couldn't draw back. Heartbreaking to say the least. After that I dropped my poundage down to 55# and like you described drew at least once very 30 minutes or so

Comment

Good luck tomorrow. It’s an epic adventure whether you draw blood or not. Time spent with your dad is priceless. Hope one shows up for you guys.

Comment

Good stuff ! I am an Avid archer and would generally rather eat tag soup over shooting an animal with a rifle kinda of guy. Saying that, after two days in Athabasca my first hear in Alberta in fridgid temps I put my bow away and pulled out my rifle. Super cold weather makes it tough to bow hunt with all the clothes ones wears. I lost four arrows one day when I tried to shoot before making a stalk. I slung all four about 4 feet left with all the clothes on and two face masks !!

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Good luck tomorrow!

Comment

Good luck today

Comment

Hang in there I know it's tough. I shot my Saskatchewan deer on the last day, last 30 minuets of light. I had 6 days in the stand myself, was skunked 50% + of those days. Good luck brother stay strong.

Comment

Good luck. Last days the charm

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Last day!!! Make some magic happen

Comment

I hope that a good one shows up for you today...you certainly deserve a shot!

Comment

Good luck Jason! BOOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X