Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who hangs their deer from the neck to clean it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who hangs their deer from the neck to clean it ?

I have seen several photos where the animals are hanging from the neck. Why do you clean a animal this way ? I have never seen anyone in person doing this, please explain.

I do. Why not do it this way? It's the way we were taught. Piece of cake.

Comment

not i, i use the back legs with a gambrel

Comment

As far as field dressing it is much easier because everything just falls out of the cavity. Just flip it over to quarter.

Comment

If I am not keeping the hide it makes me no difference. Blood does not stay in the chest cavity and it is just as fast to clean that way.

Comment

It is easier this way for me because I can skin out the neck and start pulling the hide down easier. Also if you never had a bar or anything to spread the back legs with the neck or horns are easier to rope. Also we keep ribs and neck so not worried about keeping the guts up in the cavity.

Comment

We gut in the field and skin hanging by the hind legs using gambrel. Hanging them by the neck is distasteful in my opinion.

Comment

I hang em from the head once in a while but not to often. Can't say that i have a reason for it .

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                  not i, i use the back legs with a gambrel
                  I use back legs and a gambrel to sin and quarter. Field dressing is done where the animal hits the ground

Comment

I hang all mine by the neck, ive found it easier...seems like the hide comes off easier IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Boarwhisperer View Post
                      I use back legs and a gambrel to sin and quarter. Field dressing is done where the animal hits the ground
                      x2 never i never bring a unfeild dressed deer back to camp.

Comment

I hang mine by the head always have

Comment

It's easier to skin with a golf ball and the truck hung from the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                            We gut in the field and skin hanging by the hind legs using gambrel. Hanging them by the neck is distasteful in my opinion.
                            x2

Comment

We used to as kids as that is the way my grandparents and Dad did it. They used to wrap a rope around the base of the horns and pull it up. When we discovered the gambrel all that changed.

We gut from the gambrel as well....bring them back to camp, take pics on the rock, and then hang.

Comment

Working...
                              X