No announcement yet.

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so question here, do your dogs stop and lick up every spot of blood ? I might have to try this with our jrt. She definatley knows whats in the ice chest when we get back from the lease. Even when theres nothing in the ice chest she goes straight to it to sniff it.

Comment

Jenna is on the run just about. No time to lick blood. She will lick at the first spot and sniff around in it. Then she is off. I need to slow her down I think. She is moving too fast for me to see if she is even on the trail or just using the wind. I want her to focus on the trail. Worries she is getting spoiled with short fresh blood trails and won't be able to perform when I really really need her. Oh well we are having fun and finding deer.

Comment

Bagley has just been doing what Bagley does this time of year. She has found about a dozen critters in the last 3 weeks. Some tough some easy but we had a good one yesterday.

A young fellow shot a 100 pound sow. He was not sure of his shot so we waited a hour to take up the track. 200 yards in we jumped the hog. Whitney went back to the ranger to fetch a rifle and we took the track up again. 100 yards later we bumped the hog again, with no chance for a shot.
        It left out like a dragon was chasing it so we pulled out.
        2 hours later we pick the track back up and went anothe 200 yards before jumping the hog again.
        We were in a really thick spot on the farm and I was not sure we could find the spot again so after waiting 10 or 15 minutes we started again. This time the hog really covered some country crossing 2 drainages before bumping it again. I decided to keep following it until we crossed a road or trail we could mark and pull out again.
        We went and ate lunch returning a hour later, just Bagley and myself
        . The plan was to work the trail slow and quite hoping I could get close enough to shoot it before it busted out. After another hour slow walking the trail, almost like a stalk she found the hog. It was in a creek bed grave yard dead.
        It had taken 5 hours for this hog to give up and I was mighty proud of my doggy for sorting it all out. No way no how would we have ever found this hog without a dog
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	24337420

Comment

We have been working liver drags since 8 weeks old. Last night my buddy's son shot a buck and they called for help. Tig's 1st real track. he did really well. wanted to back track to the bigger spots of blood a couple of times. Still very exciting watching him work. Trail was about 90 yards through some of the thickest brush around lake fork.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post

Bagley has just been doing what Bagley does this time of year. She has found about a dozen critters in the last 3 weeks. Some tough some easy but we had a good one yesterday.

It had taken 5 hours for this hog to give up and I was mighty proud of my doggy for sorting it all out. No way no how would we have ever found this hog without a dog.
            Sounds like Bagley just keeps getting better & better.

You have a great dog there Marty.

Originally posted by medic911 View Post

Tig's 1st real track. he did really well. wanted to back track to the bigger spots of blood a couple of times. Trail was about 90 yards through some of the thickest brush around lake fork.
            Congrats on Tig's first track Jeff.

That is a fine looking pup.

Comment

congrats medic911, ive had my first few tracks this past week and boy is it fun watching them dogs work!!
              Attached Files

Comment

]Sounds like Bagley just keeps getting better & better.

You have a great dog there Marty.

How she was able to restart that same track over and over and stay on it through all the other hog scent trails we had to have passed over is a mind boggling thing

Comment

Awesome ^

Comment

Love this thread

Comment

Jesse's 2nd real track and 1st fairly difficult one. About 150 yards with sporadic blood.

The only issue is, as someone said earlier, is she is going too fast and over running the track sometimes.

I hesitate to pull her lead because I don't want give her the wrong message.

Anyway, after letting her try to sort it out, we circled back to last blood and got back after it.

Comment

Reds second track not very far maybe 30 yards. Dropped a bomb on this doe but we need good easy practice.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Enjoyment after
                          Attached Files

Comment

This easy practice is too easy. Where the heck was my tracking dog when the deer ran for miles Now you hit em, they walk a few feet and you see where they fall over.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                              This easy practice is too easy. Where the heck was my tracking dog when the deer ran for miles Now you hit em, they walk a few feet and you see where they fall over.
                              When I first got Bagley, I had the same problem.
                              I even tied one deer to my 4 wheeler that had only ran 50 yards and drug it for 1/2 a mile for her to follow

Comment

I shot a doe last weekend for my dog to track and she dropped in her tracks... Never been so annoyed with dropping a deer! So I grabbed her and drug her 100 yards before I got tired and then went and got the pup, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X