Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can y’all school me on metal bldg insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had a nice 30x40 metal shop built. [emoji16]

I’m not really worried about temps in the shop, so never even really considered insulating it. One of the welders gave me a reference for a guy who does spray foam out here. I got the bid, and 1.5” of closed cell foam is $4900! I really hadn’t planned on spending another 5K so was wondering if y’all can tell me why I should or should not worry about insulating this building????

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If your aren’t worried about Temp Or climate control no reason at all to insulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The closed cell will add a bit of rigidity to the building if I'm not mistaken, and it'll definitely stop the rattles on windy days. Then think about those cold winter nights when you want to work on something, but it's too dang cold. A small propane heater, or even an electric one, will knock the chill off inside that building of you insulate it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It will also lower the temp for working inside during the summer.

Comment

That metal sheeting creates an oven in the Sonora summer heat, I’d recommend it for sure. Lots of competition in the spray foam business right now, you may find someone to do it a little cheaper. Especially if you give the contractor some flexibility on when the job can be sprayed.

Comment

I'm jealous!!! I would love to have a shop like yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
              It will also lower the temp for working inside during the summer.
              Yep, it needs something...cuz gonna be real hot in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                I'm jealous!!! I would love to have a shop like yours.

You can have the shop I’m more jealous of that tiny shack in the background[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following

I had one built 4-5 years ago and decided to save a few bucks and hold off on the insulation thinking that I wouldn’t need it. But, it is cold in the winter and hot in the summer and when it comes a heavy rain, it’s so loud that you can’t stand to be in the shop. But what’s worse is during the fall, the acorns start falling out of the oak tree that towers above it and when one of them little suckers hits that uninsulated roof...it sounds like a gun shot going off and will make you hit the ground and take cover. I need insulation but the last quote I got was $3200 and me being the tight wad I am...well...that’s why I’m following this thread... in hopes someone will throw out a cheap fix so I don’t have to take cover this fall when the shots are fired from the acorns.

Comment

All of the above.......
                    Insulate it...

Comment

Insulation is the single best thing you can do for that shop. Pretty much makes the heat bearable in the summer, the cold bearable in the winter, and keeps the noise down. It’ll be much more pleasant, and you’ll spend more time in there being productive.

Comment

Bisch we traded a weekend of quail hunting on our place for the labor and only paid for materials. It saved us a bunch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I was told it can help with condensation? Maybe I was told incorrectly. I am planning to build a 30x40 (I hoped to have it by now but my health had other plans) and last year got quotes for both spray and rolled insulation. One guy told me he could do it for $3300 but I no longer have his contact info when I realized my build was pushed way back.

Edit: Very nice shop by the way! I really like the overhang.

Comment

Do you have roof vents or ridge vents? Those make a huge difference.

I have a 30x40, and I put ridge vents for the full length of the roof. I also put the bubble foil radiant barrier. My shop is very workable in the summer time, but I also have doors on all four sides, so I can catch a breeze if there is one!

I also have a wood burning stove that makes it bearable on the cold days.

Comment

IMO ridge vent and insulation is a must. Since you didn’t have batt insulation install while the building was going up spray foam is now about your only option

Comment

Working...
                              X