Debate: Tractor versus skid steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
    I hate digging corner posts with a 3 point auger. I want corners 4-5’ deep so it’s either hand dig them rest of the way or use an extension which is a pain to me. I’d say for building fence get a skid steer but most rural fence builders i know have both
    Most newer utility tractors have the option for the remote on the loader. Therefore, you can run augers or grabble buckets if you have the attachemnts.

Comment

Depends on what size of either.

As far as post hole get belltec

Comment

Dirt work and fence posts - Skid steer.

Dirt work and everything else - Tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          Dirt work and fence posts - Skid steer.

Dirt work and everything else - Tractor.

It will also be used for removing rocks and pallets of grass. Need a decent size tractor to handle a pallet of grass at 1800-2000 pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
            Most newer utility tractors have the option for the remote on the loader. Therefore, you can run augers or grabble buckets if you have the attachemnts.
            Understood and agree that could be considered. Skid steer will probably cost more but for maneuverability and handling heavy loads I think it’s the way to go for you. A 50-60HP tractor will take a lot of space on a trailer and needs more room to turn especially with a FEL

Comment

And even with a good sized tractor with an implement on the back, without water in the tires the back end will get light quick.

Comment

Skid steer....with tracks.

Comment

Skid steer, I’ve got a shredder for it and I can get places with it that I couldn’t with my tractor.

Comment

Both. I own two compact track loaders and a tractor.

Comment

For fence holes and dirt work as you said get a track skid steer. If you plan on ever doing any farming I would go tractor.

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
                        I think a tractor only wins if you are doing lots of shredding or planting. The attachments for skid steers are endless. You will probably have more maintenance issues with the skidsteer though and possibly higher up front cost but they do dirt work and holes so much quicker than a tractor.
                        This. If you wanna run a batwing or disc/plow/seed, then get a tractor. For dirt work or heavy brush cutting or post holes, get the skid steer. Skid steer is WAY faster and much more maneuverable. I can do a job 3x faster with a skid steer.

If maintaining lots of open land, get a tractor. If opening up/clearing lots of cedar/cactus/brush, get the skid steer.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
                          This. If you wanna run a batwing or disc/plow/seed, then get a tractor. For dirt work or heavy brush cutting or post holes, get the skid steer. Skid steer is WAY faster and much more maneuverable. I can do a job 3x faster with a skid steer.

If maintaining lots of open land, get a tractor. If opening up/clearing lots of cedar/cactus/brush, get the skid steer.
                          This. I was never impressed with the skid steer until I needed some brushy, short ROW’s cleared. Trees and brush gone in an instant. Without the damage of a big dozer.

Comment

I understand the usefulness of the skid steers no doubt, but do skid steers last for decades without any major maintenance work needing performed? I know the tractors speak for themselves on lasting decades without major maintenance items needed if the proper preventative maintenance is performed.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                              Skid steers tear up the place.

Not if you get one that will switch from skid steer to all wheel steering.

Comment

Originally posted by GA Bowhunter View Post
                                Both. I own two compact track loaders and a tractor.

That’s the plan but I can only do so much at the moment! Had to decide between a 2015 or newer F350 or another asset that will make me money. Hopefully would buy the other piece of equipment within two years. Trying to see what the best investment is at the current moment. I figured if I bought a used skid steer and used it one day a month (rentals run between $320 and $400) that it wouldn’t be any different. Use it a couple days a month to pay for the maintenance then any more that that goes to profit basically. But I can also buy a lot more tractor for the money than I can buy I skid steer!

Comment

Working...
                                X