Debate: Tractor versus skid steer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debate: Tractor versus skid steer

Let’s hear yall’s opinion on the two. Which one would you buy and why? Uses would be from dirt work to drilling holes for fences!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a mid size tractor with a bush hog, bucket, and post hole digger. There has been a few times I wish I had a skid steer but 99% of the time the tractor does everything I need done. I believe the implements for the tractor are less expensive as well

Comment

Skid steer all day long! Dirt work and drilling holes they are perfect. Many different attachments can be purchased. Easier access to tighter spots. Only thing I would be sure to get is track and not 4 tires.

Comment

If it is just drilling holes and dirt work-skid steer all the way. If it is for general farm duty a 4x4 tractor is more versatile. You can shred/plow/plant/and mess with hay on top of having a loader.

Comment

Skid steers tear up the place.

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod View Post
            If it is just drilling holes and dirt work-skid steer all the way. If it is for general farm duty a 4x4 tractor is more versatile. You can shred/plow/plant/and mess with hay on top of having a loader.

Exactly. If you’re a fence builder, skid steer all the way. Dad doesn’t even mess with his tractor anymore, but he owns 3 skid steers. But I couldn’t do what I do on the ranch without my tractor. Two completely different machines for two different applications

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
              Exactly. If you’re a fence builder, skid steer all the way. Dad doesn’t even mess with his tractor anymore, but he owns 3 skid steers. But I couldn’t do what I do on the ranch without my tractor. Two completely different machines for two different applications

I’m a landscaper so I’m torn between the two because I do work that requires both machines....

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                I’m a landscaper so I’m torn between the two because I do work that requires both machines....

Buy both, it’s just money right? [emoji16]

Comment

If you’re a landscaper, I’d buy a mid ranged rubber tire machine, and then order a set of aftermarket tracks that go over the tires for dirt work and when it gets muddy. That’s what we have and it works well. Skid steers are dead in the water if it gets muddy and they don’t have tracks.

Comment

I think a tractor only wins if you are doing lots of shredding or planting. The attachments for skid steers are endless. You will probably have more maintenance issues with the skidsteer though and possibly higher up front cost but they do dirt work and holes so much quicker than a tractor.

Comment

I would like to have both too. Each one has specific things where one works better than the other. Skid steer with tracks are great for grubbing brush, feeding hay, fencing etc but tractors are best for plowing, shredding and moving hay from fields to barn. The implements for skid steers are costly. Wish I had both.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        I have a mid size tractor with a bush hog, bucket, and post hole digger. There has been a few times I wish I had a skid steer but 99% of the time the tractor does everything I need done. I believe the implements for the tractor are less expensive as well
                        Not to mention maintenance

Comment

I own a tractor with front loader. Ive a three point auger for hole drilling...works fantastic.

Skid steers are more versatile in smaller space. I think for what you described as your scope of work...a skid steer is your tool...with tracks. You being in landscaping I could see you needing a seeder...not sure if skid steers have seeder attachments....push broadcast seeders are cheap and effective enough.

Good luck.

Comment

I’ve got a 4 x4 Kubota it’s attachments interchange with skid steer John Deere does not whenever I need to do heavy dirt work I rent a skid steer and use my attachments

Comment

I hate digging corner posts with a 3 point auger. I want corners 4-5’ deep so it’s either hand dig them rest of the way or use an extension which is a pain to me. I’d say for building fence get a skid steer but most rural fence builders i know have both

Comment

Working...
                              X