Youth only turkey hunting question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth only turkey hunting question.

I understand the "youth" portion but am unclear about how this works. We're headed to the lease for the weekend youth only turkey season. I've got a shotgun for my daughter to hunt with. Now does it have to be her only holding/shooting the weapon or can I help her hold it and aim it? Not trying to do anything illegal here and darn sure don't want to sour my girls first hunt by doing something wrong.

You guys know what the rules are? I looked on TPWD and couldn't find anything that cleared up my concerns.

Both of my grandkids shot their first deer with them setting in my lap.
    As long as she is doing the aiming and pulling the trigger you will be fine

Comment

How old are they? Let them have free reign. If they can't hold the weapon, then it's a pass IMO.

Comment

Caldwell field pod is your best friend if your taking kids hunting!! That and a popup! I miss run and gun turkey hunting but I love taking little man and that requires chairs! Snacks. Drinks. iPads! Popup. Decoys. Field pod. He got his first one with a shotgun yesterday. Makes it all worth while![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

X2 on the field pod

Comment

Probably should have put out more information. Daughter is 4 years old. Her shotgun is a youth model .410. We're on a lease with feeders and blinds. There is also a pop up we can use to set up within about 20' of the feeders. I've got some decoys that I borrowed. We will not take a shot that is outside of 15' as the .410 tends to spread out a bit much past that.

Comment

I m o too young.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                Probably should have put out more information. Daughter is 4 years old. Her shotgun is a youth model .410. We're on a lease with feeders and blinds. There is also a pop up we can use to set up within about 20' of the feeders. I've got some decoys that I borrowed. We will not take a shot that is outside of 15' as the .410 tends to spread out a bit much past that.
                I'll probably get blasted for this, but not a chance of me letting my daughter shoot at an animal at 4 years of age with a gun

Comment

My daughter took her first gobbler last year with a single shot .410 and a field pod. I called her bird in and set a hen decoy at her max range so we didnt have to talk we the bird came in. We practiced the scenario before hand. Ive taken several big deer and a ton of longbeards but that hunt was amazing and will never forget it. Good luck

Comment

My grandson was 4 years old when he shot his first turkey using a 410 and field pod. All he had to do was aim and pull the trigger. His mom & dad where with him filming.

Comment

My daughter took 2 last year @ 5yo with a field pod in a ground blind. I let her shoot though the Net. But she shot quiet a bit before the hunt. If not she would just sit and watch

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                        Caldwell field pod is your best friend if your taking kids hunting!! That and a popup! I miss run and gun turkey hunting but I love taking little man and that requires chairs! Snacks. Drinks. iPads! Popup. Decoys. Field pod. He got his first one with a shotgun yesterday. Makes it all worth while![emoji4]

Lol. Last year I felt like I was setting up a spike camp in the dark, but to watch her shoot 2 by herself... priceless

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Lol. Last year I felt like I was setting up a spike camp in the dark, but to watch her shoot 2 by herself... priceless

That's no lie!! If I can't drive the ranger there were not hunting there!! He killed his first gobbler at 5 but was shooting the 223 till this year! A duck hunt got him into the 20 gauge! Thanks Bentley!!

Comment

Working...
                          X