X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunstan Chestnut?

Anyone planted these on your places?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

I have planted several Dunstan and the Chinese with little success, I don't think my soil is right for them. Lots of clay and rock where I'm at.

Comment

I’m planning to plant about 50 of them in a little grove, pretty soon.

They actually found some chestnuts growing wild in MO not many miles from me. I guess they survived the blight and were only recently rediscovered up on a ridge.

Comment

I planted a few of them 3 years ago. They have grown well, no mast produced yet.

Comment

We have 6-7 in Wise county planted over the last 4 years. Some doing well. Some just hanging on. We’re probably past the western edge of where they will do well in Texas but we wanted to try them.

Comment

I have about 8. They’re slow growing. I have heavy clay, but I keep the weeds around them knocked down

Comment

Where is everyone locating them compared to food sources, bedding areas, etc?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Comment

I planted some the spring in the Kerville area.

I did not get my watering station figured out until late in the process and they went two weeks, maybe a touch more without watering them mid to late summer. They did not look great at the end of the summer but they are still alive... most of them.
                I mixed in some peet moss with the soil to increase the acidity, have them caged and in grow tubes, and dusted them (a little late) with 7 dust to attempt to keep locus off them.
                If they grow their roots this winter while dormant, then it was worth all the work. If they don't I will not mess with planing more.

Comment

I have planted 5 and 3 still living about 10' tall. No crop yet.

Comment

Ive been lanting chestnuts for the past 7 years and have them in varying ages and sizes. Some have been producing for the past 3 or 4 years, and the wildlife love them. Mareting for Dunstans have been exceptional which is why so popular, but there are far serperior varieties than Dunstans, but what yu grow depends on your goals. If it's just to feed wildlife Dunstans work well, if you're also interested in growing them as a cash crop, check out the All About Chestnuts page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2721...oup_highlights

As far as chestnuts that are native to east Texas that are good for both turkey and deer try planting chinquapins. We have two that are native to east Texas including Allegheny and Ozark chinquapins. for more information or to get blight resistant seed check out the Ozark chinquapin Foundation at https://ozarkchinquapinmembership.org/

Comment

Originally posted by GraceNmercy View Post
                      Ive been lanting chestnuts for the past 7 years and have them in varying ages and sizes. Some have been producing for the past 3 or 4 years, and the wildlife love them. Mareting for Dunstans have been exceptional which is why so popular, but there are far serperior varieties than Dunstans, but what yu grow depends on your goals. If it's just to feed wildlife Dunstans work well, if you're also interested in growing them as a cash crop, check out the All About Chestnuts page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2721...oup_highlights

As far as chestnuts that are native to east Texas that are good for both turkey and deer try planting chinquapins. We have two that are native to east Texas including Allegheny and Ozark chinquapins. for more information or to get blight resistant seed check out the Ozark chinquapin Foundation at https://ozarkchinquapinmembership.org/
                      Do you actually have two chinquapin trees? Did you grow them from seed or plant the trees? Where did you find them? I just requested to join the All About Chestnet FB page. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I don't have the two large trees on my place. A landowner near our place and near our turkey co-op has the trees on his place and they're naturally occurring and have been growing there for some time. He didn't know what they were until one of our co-op members told him when he asked him to identify the seed since he has back ground with the forest service.

I just have a few seedlings that I grew from seed I got at our Ozark chinquapin foundation annual meeting to introduce some of that blight resistance to those existing trees which are suffering from blight, and to be planted on our place and distributed to some of the members of our turkey co-op.

The two large naturally occurring chinquapins are over 25 feet tall, and there are about about 12 smaller chinquapin trees and saplings on that same property.

A trapper friend of mine also located some trees in Cherokee county near Alto, so I'll be collecting leaf samples and nuts from those trees to submit for research.

You can get seed by joining the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation by visiting https://ozarkchinquapinmembership.org/

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
                        Do you actually have two chinquapin trees? Did you grow them from seed or plant the trees? Where did you find them? I just requested to join the All About Chestnet FB page. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                        X