Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS
Default Gout...

Wanting to see who's battling with this unfair condition.... It runs in my family and I think I have inherited it, because I don't eat meat on a daily basis and I don't drink alcohol everyday or week either and I'm in fairly good shape and not overweight...
My dad had it and so do my brothers and cousins....
I haven't had a breakout (Thank God!) but my Uric Acid is through the roof, so high that my doctor freaked out and couldn't believe it...

Those who have high uric acid or have gout,,,, what do you eat? care to share your daily diet? seems like EVERYTHING is bad for high uric acid.

very frustrated and running out of options on food that actually fills me up.
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
Wanting to see who's battling with this unfair condition.... It runs in my family and I think I have inherited it, because I don't eat meat on a daily basis and I don't drink alcohol everyday or week either and I'm in fairly good shape and not overweight...
My dad had it and so do my brothers and cousins....
I haven't had a breakout (Thank God!) but my Uric Acid is through the roof, so high that my doctor freaked out and couldn't believe it...

Those who have high uric acid or have gout,,,, what do you eat? care to share your daily diet? seems like EVERYTHING is bad for high uric acid.

very frustrated and running out of options on food that actually fills me up.
get yourself a prescription for Allopurinol, eat what you want.

I haven't had a flare up since I've been taking it for the last 8 yrs or so.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
ATI
Ten Point

I’m on alupurinol now, but my Uric Acid was 15.... anything over 6 is considered high, so I need to help reduce it by diet as well... I ate a supreme Pizza the other day it was so filling and awesome and it made me realize how we take things for granted.
Gout sucks donkeys
Old 01-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Iím on alupurinol now, but my Uric Acid was 15.... anything over 6 is considered high, so I need to help reduce it by diet as well... I ate a supreme Pizza the other day it was so filling and awesome and it made me realize how we take things for granted.
Gout sucks donkeys

Dang I was going to suggest the meds as well, but that clearly isnt working. Do you eat a lot of fruit and drink a bunch of juice? I know folks says cherry juice will help flush your system and get the acid levels down to get rid of gout. Maybe that could help you out as well. Other than that, all I can say is im sorry you have to deal with it. Cause it SUCKS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #5
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

glad y'all brought this up because this week I can hardly walk. Can't think of anything out of the ordinary to cause the soreness ... I'm just assuming this is it.
Following this thread for remedies ... thx!
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
glad y'all brought this up because this week I can hardly walk. Can't think of anything out of the ordinary to cause the soreness ... I'm just assuming this is it.
Following this thread for remedies ... thx!
Are you overweight? How old are you? Big toes or knees?

Go see a doctor ASAP it could be causing permanent joint damage... "PERMANENT"....
Old 01-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Bruiser
Ten Point

your body could not be getting rid of it like it should thats what happend to me diet has nothing to do with it for me
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
ATI
Ten Point

correct, it's different with everyone. I have a friend who's Uric Acid was at 4 and had a flareup.
It's closely related to fatty liver, kidney stones, type II diabetes... I've cut alcohol 100% from my life, which I'm kind of happy about since I have a 1 year old son and I don't want him to drink and not seeing me drink will help, but I can't cut meat, bread, some fruits and vegetables from my diet... I'm constantly hungry now... It's miserable.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
ATI
Ten Point

not to mention the pain and stiffness in the joints....
Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
Radar
Pope & Young

Go to doctor and get Allipurinol and be done. The longer you let it go the worse it will get and the more joints it will affect.

I had it so bad the last time, they gave me steroid shots and I walked on crutches for a week. That was 9 years ago,have not had a flare up since with Allipurinol.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #11
redleif
Four Point

There are other newer meds out like allopurinol that lower uric acid. I don't think you can lower it much with diet alone. I've been taking 300 mg of allopurinol a day for 20 yrs or more. It helped me. I bet there is a med or combination that would help. Some people have gout attacks with low uric acid levels. I would recommend seeing a rheumatologist. Gout is considered an arthritic condition. Pm me if I can help.
redleif is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleif View Post
There are other newer meds out like allopurinol that lower uric acid. I don't think you can lower it much with diet alone. I've been taking 300 mg of allopurinol a day for 20 yrs or more. It helped me. I bet there is a med or combination that would help. Some people have gout attacks with low uric acid levels. I would recommend seeing a rheumatologist. Gout is considered an arthritic condition. Pm me if I can help.

I'm looking for a rheumatologist in N.Dallas area... all are either booked or want a referral and my idiot doctor won't answer his phone (he wants me to go for a visit so he can collect more money)
Old 01-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #13
DanielSchindler
Six Point

Hunt In: Hall, Co

yes it sucks for sure, im 32 and get it all the time in my feet. I take indomethacin when I feel a flare up coming on and it usually knocks it out the next day. My next step is to get a prescription to take everyday, which at first when I went to the dr I said no to be cause I was too young to be taking meds everyday for the rest of my life. but it is what it is. feel sorry for anyone that has it or has had it.
DanielSchindler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #14
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

Had my first attack 23ish years ago. Modified my diet and had 2-3 attack's a year. Been on allopurinol as stated, no more issues and eat as much protein as you want. Mine was in the big toe, right foot
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #15
Six Point

Hunt In: The whole world

Jucy Juice cherry juce, 8oz a day, eliminated mine
257 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #16
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257 View Post
Jucy Juice cherry juce, 8oz a day, eliminated mine
it has to be "No Sugar added" cherry juice. Most juices have apple juice added to make them sweet.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #17
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

We sound exactly alike. Been battling it for years. It's put me on crutches a few times. Ill get it from my toes, up through my ankle into my knee joints. Sometimes one or the other, somtimes all 3 places. My whole family has it as well. My brother tends to get it in his hands and elbows.

I now take allopurinol daily as well for maintenance and colcrys for flare ups.

My biggest trigger is catfish from dirty water and blue crab. Fish from clear water does not bother me.

Very red meats bother me as well. (Venison, buffalo, elk, axis etc etc )

I cannot eat processed meat of any kind. I rarely drink so no problems there.

Cannot eat jerky unless its been cooked rather than dried or dehydrated.

I have learned to eat only fresh foods and I cook any red meat I eat very well done. Except for steaks I refuse to over cook them. Sometimes gout is worth it

I have also learned that if i am working out and losing weigh I will get flareups regardless of what I eat.

I was having flareups every 3-5 days for several years. Mine was so bad I have some joint dis-figuration in my toes. Allopurinol made my flareups worse so I couldn't take it.

My endocrinologist and I put a game plan together to get it under control.
I finally went about 180 days only eating vegetables and grilled chicken, then I was able to start allopurinol.

Been under control since maybe a slight flare up every 3-4 months.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
it has to be "No Sugar added" cherry juice. Most juices have apple juice added to make them sweet.
so will Cranberry juice do the same? Have heard it was good for the kidneys and stones/urinary infections.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #19
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
so will Cranberry juice do the same? Have heard it was good for the kidneys and stones/urinary infections.
Yes, find unsweetened cherry, cranberry juices. Also unsweetened Tart Cherry juice, Celery, cucumber, Ginger, beet root also help.

mix baking soda or apple cider vinegar with water and drink in the mornings (before breakfast) these make your body more Alkaline which causes in dissolving of Uric Acid in the body.
Have your kidneys and liver functions checked.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #20
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Heck ask your doctor about Uloric , I take one pill a day
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #21
ATI
Ten Point

by the way,
I make ettoufee with only chicken breast and brown rice and all the vegetables (peppers, celery, onions, leek, parsley, cilantro, thyme, and Cajun seasoning (no fish, no shrimp, no sausage and no broth) it sounds bad, but it's still pretty good and fills me up,,,,
Just in case some of you are in the same boat as I am with food.

Last edited by ATI; 01-23-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #22
Gbird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson & Polk Counties

I had it for the first time a few months ago at the ripe old age of 41. It was in the joint of my right big toe and I was ready to cut it off!

I was able to get it to go down in a few days with only ibuprofen and rest. I also ate clean during the flare up. I felt it coming on again a couple of weeks ago and hurriedly cleaned up my diet again (I had eaten a couple bags of store bought jerky and I think that triggered it). I havenít (knock on wood) had another episode in awhile.

And I agree... it sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gbird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #23
Hardware
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Western US & Argentina

I take Wild cherry extract everyday and have been without flare ups as long as I remember to take.
Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #24
elgato
Ten Point

Ditto on Tart cherry. I take capsules everyday Plus drink the juice. Gout is the devil but haven't had a flareup in several years since including the cherry
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #25
DimmitCo
Four Point

Drink a bottle of RW Knudsen Just Black Cherry Juice.
DimmitCo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #26
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

I had it bad-knees and ankles. I had a bad sprained ankle once and thought this was a lingering result. Turned out to be gout. The mistake was I ended up at a regular doctor during a flare up so bad I could not walk. My knee looked like a basketball and was red and hot. He gave me allopurinol during the flare up which apparently is really bad ju ju. I thought I was going to die. When I finally met with the rheumatologist he said you should never start allopurinol during a flare up as it throws your liver out of kilter. I had to wait till the flare up passed then restart. I get a bit sore in a couple of my fingers and my thumb from time to time, but not certain it is gout, more likely just old age arthritis. I was in my late 30s when I got on the allopurinol.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
db@100
Eight Point

I get mild cases in my neck. I get the bad cases in my ankle. When that happens, I can't walk for several days. My last major case was several years ago after I ate shrimp for three days straight. I also drink the cherry juice but also drink apple cider vinegar.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #28
Passthrough
Pope & Young

OP....can you take a higher mg of Allopurinol? I am on it and was originally prescribed 100mg...I take 300mg now. No issues.
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #29
phoneman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lipan, Tx

I have horrible gout in my toes, too of my feet, knees (the worst), and my elbow once. I take 350 mg of Allpurinol a day and have controlled it very well the last 3 years.
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #30
redleif
Four Point

Prednisone tablets was the best cure for me when I used to get gout attacks. Kept a prescription with me at all times and it would knock out attack in two days. Haven't had an attack in a long time since taking 300 mg of allopurinol a day. It is a horrible condition to deal with. The pain is terrible. With the proper meds I got it under control and I don't have to worry about what I eat.
redleif is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #31
MisplacedTexan
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb and Milam Counties, St. Tammany Parish

Man it sux. I tried everything, apple cider vinegar, cranberry juice etc. Change of diet and Allpurinol made the difference, cut out all of fast food.

I had it in my toes, ankle, knees and wrist. I waited way to long before getting real treatment.

I was getting flare ups pretty regularly and dreaded the times i was felling great and then bumped my toe on something.

Colchrys was my go to when it got bad, but then you better not leave the bathroom.

Feel for ya, no one understands until you get it. My son used to laugh at me hobbling around all over the place, I tod him I used to do the same thing to his grandpa. Genetics son.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MisplacedTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #32
rwbrew3
Four Point

I have had gout for 0ver 20 years, get it in both knees, no medication has ever done me any good.. have never been able to figure out what the trigger is.. I haven’t drank in 20years, drink tons of water,I eat clean everyday and work out regularly. I found that CBD oil keeps the inflammation down and I eat lemons every other day, when I feel it coming I eat a few a day and I eat The Whole thing... this has worked wonders for me, and gets me mobile pretty quick!
rwbrew3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 AM   #33
drbonner
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shelby County and Kansas

Watch foods high in purines such as turkey, red meat, seafood, legumes. Also stuff that is acidic such as tomatoes and sodas have been known to trigger it. My wife used to make taco soup with 3 different kinds of beans and ground turkey. She must’ve been trying to kill me I guess.

I currently take 300mg of allopurinol as well and just cut back on things I know affect me. I have a friend that started taking it as well with no help. His dr put him on Uloric and it’s worked.
drbonner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:21 AM   #34
drbonner
Ten Point

I told my dr no more colchicine too. It invokes the worst diarrhea you’ll ever have. It flushes the Uric acid from your body and it is rough stuff coming out
Old 01-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #35
Bruiser
Ten Point

never had the runs from colcrys
Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #36
ATI
Ten Point

where does everyone get their wild cherry and tart cherry juice and pills from?

lots of good info and solutions, keep'em coming for everyone who's affected.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #37
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

No fried food
No gravy
No seafood
No alcohol
No bacon
No sausage
No thanksgiving dinner
No wild game
Limited meat intake
Drink lots of water
Get a good doctor to help you monitor and control your UA

Last edited by pilar; 01-24-2019 at 09:20 AM.
pilar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #38
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

An old truck driver's remedy is a large can of pitted black cherries. Drink the whole can of juice and eat all the cherries. Relief comes within a couple of hours. Be sure to keep within a few feet from a toilet. Them cherries will work quickly, like stewed prunes. Been there done that
The cherries act like a powerful anti oxidant and cancel the uric acid.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #39
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
No fried food
No gravy
No seafood
No alcohol
No bacon
No sausage
No thanksgiving dinner
No wild game
Limited meat intake
Drink lots of water
Just shoot me. My dad takes medicine everyday for gout. I take medicine for kidney stones. My urologist said you will get either or so hopefully I'm gout free . Although I'm not sure which is worse gout or kidney stones.
twistedmidnite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #40
ATI
Ten Point

Just curious, how do you know you're about to have a flare up?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #41
returning egret
Spike

Hunt In: Camo

A palm full of dried cherries everyday has kept mine in check for over a decade now. Alcohol is my trigger. Quit for 15 years, no gout and I forgot why I had quit. Started drinking again and hello gout. Started with the cherries and no gout. Thinking I need to drink cherry wine!

Some people claim they have to be tart cherries. What type or brand doesn't seem to matter to my body. Just what the store has in the dried fruit section. I also use some cherry juice in sparkling water, but it's more a refreshing drink than anything. Oh, BTW, this makes cherry pie medicine, not dessert! Enjoy
returning egret is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2019, 04:11 PM   #42
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
No fried food
No gravy
No seafood
No alcohol
No bacon
No sausage
No thanksgiving dinner
No wild game
Limited meat intake
Drink lots of water
Sounds like a death sentence to me....geez!!
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #43
MisplacedTexan
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb and Milam Counties, St. Tammany Parish

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbonner View Post
I told my dr no more colchicine too. It invokes the worst diarrhea youíll ever have. It flushes the Uric acid from your body and it is rough stuff coming out
This for me as well...i always said to myself the pain is so bad that is was worth it....just couldnt leave the house for half a day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
MisplacedTexan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #44
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Alvin/Danbury Brazoria Co.

I eat Fresh Cherries, Dried cherries, Organic unsweetened cherrie juice and occassinsaly dried Red cherrie Vitamins. All are pretty Tart. The fresh cherries can be tolerable and you can ice the cherrie juice down with filtered frozen water to drink it. Cold temps we re currently having can cause fire ups
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #45
Humper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

I’ve had gout for about 6 years. First time I had a flare up, I thought I’d broken my big toe...hurt like hell.

My Dr. Had me on urloric, but I switched to allopurinol a year ago. I haven’t had a flare up in several years. Unfortunately, I’ll be on it the rest of my life....

I
Humper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #46
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

my neighbor battles it.... he's tried medication, cherry juice, everything.

literally 2 weeks ago he was walking with a cane (barely) and was about to cancel a 3 week vacation because of it. went to a new doctor and he said to drink PURE LEMON JUICE twice a day for 3 days. by the third day he was almost in tears he was so happy. completely gone by the third day.

give it a try. he was drinking about 1/4 3 times a day. he basically added a little water and some sugar and made it very strong lemonade.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #47
muddydog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co.

Had it once and don't want it again! Man that stuff is real! It will make you forget about any other aches or pains you've ever had.
muddydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 PM   #48
2050z
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grayson when drawn/Coryell/Scio Ohio/Unit 11 Kansas

I've had two gout flare ups in two years. At the time I was eating a lot of spinach. I mean like all day. Told my dr about my meal plan and he told me to cut back to eating spinach once a day. I have not had a flare up since I cut back
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #49
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
never had the runs from colcrys
Mine was generic colchicine, bottle said to take every 4 hours until you get diarrhea. The pharmacist chuckled when he explained it to me.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:41 AM   #50
drbonner
Ten Point

Quote:
Just curious, how do you know you're about to have a flare up?
I start getting an ache in the joint. Sounds stupid, but you can just tell