what kind of arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of arrows?

Right now I am shooting aluminum arrows out of my martin due to the fact the guys as basspro told me that is what I needed to shoot for the weight. I am new to the traditional scene so I went with it. I would lots rather shoot carbons so I was wondering if I could use them if I went heavy?

If you shoot carbons than you need have tham a little longer than the alum. And carbons like a lot of weight up front, I shoot Easton Axis 340 29" long with 250 gr BH, I love those skinny carbons I shot are the Easton Axis340,Beman Black Max 400 and Beman Max4 340. All these arrows flew best with alot of point weight 200 to 250 gr. I shoot the Axis out of 54@27 BW PSA they weigh 570 gr. The Bllaclk Max weighed 520gr and Max4 weighed 650gr out of a 54@28 Bruin Defles Express the Max 4 weighed too much for that bow.

Comment

No offense to bow buddy, but I will diasagree with what he said.. Not all carbons need a lot of weight up front. I will say that carbons will take a lot more tinkering, due to the range of spine weight, whereas aluminums are spined much closer together around 5 lbs or so. None of my arrows require more than 125 grains up front and are no longer than would I would ordinarily shoot. I have about 8-10 different dozen brands and spine differences to tinker with. I will bare shaft the arrows until I find the arrow that flies the best and will keep fine tuning from there. I will start full length and add tip weight from 100, 125 ,145, 175. If they are still too stiff I will go to a weaker spine. If the arrows spines weak, I will start trimming the end 1/4" at a time until I find the sweet spot. Carbons just take a little more time, unless you are lucky and hit it on the first try.

As far as arrow weight goes it depends on the brand of arrow. You can find weights in carbons from 7-15 grs/in. I like to shoot around 9-10 grains/pound of bow weight. This way I have plenty of arrow weight for kinetic energy and also the heavier weight quietens the bow. Carbon express heritages are around 11-12 gr/in and Gold tips weigh roughly 10-11.5 gr/in. Both of these will workk great. I have also just bought some of the axis arrrows and while they shoot great, they seem to be just a little noisier than the others due to them being about 50 grs lighter. All of my arrows are weighing between 550-575 grains. Hope some of this helps....If you know someone who has several different spines, shoot them and try and narrow it down before you start buying arrows that may not be right for you...good luck

Comment

Carbons don't have to be hard to tune for a recurve bow. I would advise to start with a spine that is the lowest reccommended for your bow weight. I shoot 400's out of a 53# bow, but I think 500's would fly better. If a slightly stiff spine is encountered, you can improve tuning by leaving the shaft a bit long and adding a 200+ grain point. 3 rivers has an axis kit that will give you 3 spines of that particular shaft. Might be a good idea to get different spines to tinker with. Brett

Comment

I use the 55/75's that have a poly cord down the shaft and a little piece at the end that a string was attached to, this aided pulling the cord down the shaft and then is use for weight later, and a 145-175 grain tip depending on broadhead or field tip. I get right around 550-570 grains this way. I only notice about a 2 inch drop diff. between the change to heavier to lighter tips may it be broadhead or field tip. If you want real good info on arrows look at Pete Wards webs site, peteward.com, his sight has a wealth of info. And tons of reviews. He told me what he thought of weighing down carbons, and I really listened to him about it. After messing with my brace hieght on an old #46 Pearson, I shot the same arrow, you would be surprise with the performance a heavy arrow will give you down range, with a pretty light poundage bow. This bow will wack a bag target. Those 55/75 seem like they can be shot out of almost anything. A friend of mine has good luck with 35/55's but I can't get them to quit dancin' around like they are 20lbs under spined. What type of bow and weight are you shooting and what arrow did they tell you. Sometimes those chain stores do not,0-how do I say, know there elbow from there A!@whole when it comes to tellin' people what they need. Sometimes you get lucky though.

Chris Kiefner

Comment

martin rebel 50#@28"
            easton 2315 super lites

Comment

Aaah, I gotta get me some Axis 500's...

Comment

A bow doesn't care what MATERIAL the arrow is made of. Just get the arrow heavy enough to optimize the capabilities of the bow and stiff enough for the draw weight of the bow so that it will properly shoot around the shelf.

My carbon express 4560s shoot fine off my 54 pounds of recurve. I use 137 grain broadheads and 135 grain judos. Overall weight comes out to about 525 grains of arrow.

Comment

it does not matter what kind of material you shoot, just tune your equipment ,and know how you shoot with the equipment.

Comment

wanting info not smart assss remarks...thanks anyway

Comment

wanting info not smart assss remarks...thanks anyway
                      Who did that?

Comment

DR, I would think the 2315s would be a little stiff. My 49# Morrison long bow with a TS1 string, likes 2117 & 2213 @ 31" in Alum, and carbon Gold Tips 5575 @ 30.5" with 225 at the tip.
                        My 46# Assenheimer recurve likes a lighter and less spine arrow, Gold tips 3555 30" with 150 grain at tip.

Comment

Working...
                        X