Clear All

Originally posted by Pineywoods Paul View Post
    Sending PM.
    PM answered.

Comment

They exist

Comment

Originally posted by quackNthwack View Post
        A cougar is another word for a large cat. In the U.S. this is a reference to a Mountain Lion. There have been ZERO documented cases of a melanistic phase (black) mountain lion. It is not possible genetically and they do not exist.

There are black cougars in south america such as black phased jaguars. Extremely rare even down there, and their range does not extend to North America anymore - hasn't for a very long time.

If someone sees a "black panther", they were drunk, or it was a house cat they thought looked big at a distance.
        Are you 100 percent sure about this????

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          Are you 100 percent sure about this????
          yah brah, we get it, you've got proof but you will never show anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
            yah brah, we get it, you've got proof but you will never show anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by quackNthwack View Post
              A cougar is another word for a large cat. In the U.S. this is a reference to a Mountain Lion. There have been ZERO documented cases of a melanistic phase (black) mountain lion. It is not possible genetically and they do not exist.

There are black cougars in south america such as black phased jaguars. Extremely rare even down there, and their range does not extend to North America anymore - hasn't for a very long time.

If someone sees a "black panther", they were drunk, or it was a house cat they thought looked big at a distance.
              From the Ellen Trout Zoo in Lufkin......not saying they are correct just sayin somebody thinks they exist
              Attached Files

Comment

I believe there are a few dark colored mountain lions in East Tx as well as scattered normal colored cats. One case is a cat that hung out in Ratcliff lake rec are for several years. She stayed pretty close during deer season as campers dressed deer in camp and she got then trimmings.

Comment

Call the local game wardens if you want to hear about the mountain lions in east tx. Rusk, panola and Gregg are good to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    Just wait by this sign and one will show up

[ATTACH]518021[/ATTACH]
                    They need to place this sign on 288 in Houston.

Comment

I have no pictures so call me a liar if needed. I have seen 3 live cougars/mountain lions in Texas and none were black.

One was while hog hunting in Zapata, when I saw it it was walking away around 300 yards and I thought it was a deer until it turned broadside leaving the sendero. Never got a shot. It was around 2001.

Another was between Tilden and Three Rivers around 2000. We had just picked a hunter up from a stand and headed back to the camp and when we rounded a corner the dang thing almost ran over us.

The first one was after the 1994 flood and was in Liberty county. Our deer lease is next to the Trinity river and there is a levee that keeps the river from flooding the town of Liberty. Me and my buddy were riding down the levee and it came up from the side of the levee and jumped in front of us. It turned and ran about ten yards and bailed back off the levee. I asked my buddy was that a cougar and he said yep. That was the only time we ever saw it. My buddies grandpa passed away this year at 84 years old and he used to always talk about the bear tree on our lease. It was a huge hollowed out cypress tree and he used to tell us stories about a black bear that had two cubs that stayed around there in the 60's and 70's.
                      Last edited by Capt.Bryan; 07-16-2013, 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I worked nights at the old Albertsons DC in Katy back in 98' and we had a black panther/cat that was pacing the fence line by our fuel pumps. My spotter came running in to grab me cause i didn't believe him. And sure enough, there was one. Being 21 and full of stupidity i had the idea to get a pallet and try to corner it. I got within about 10' of it and it jumped the fence and took off. The back stood about 24" and it was about 6' long tip of tail to nose. Never saw it after that night. Side story, I had a mountain lion at the lease in Aspermont stalk me and another hunter coming back one night. He was on a ledge about 7' above us and if it wasn't for another member getting charged by a herd of pigs and hopping in his 4 wheeler to come tell us about it. We could have been dinner.

Comment

Man, I hate to say it but until one defecates in their bed or drags off a prized hunting dog, most of these guys will never believe in the existence...I believe in the big cats...definitely bigger than bob cats...

Comment

[QUOTE=thorshammer;7256395]I worked nights at the old Albertsons DC in Katy back in 98' and we had a black panther/cat that was pacing the fence line by our fuel pumps. My spotter came running in to grab me cause i didn't believe him. And sure enough, there was one. Being 21 and full of stupidity i had the idea to get a pallet and try to corner it. I got within about 10' of it and it jumped the fence and took off. The back stood about 24" and it was about 6' long tip of tail to nose. Never saw it after that night. Side story, I had a mountain lion at the lease in Aspermont stalk me and another hunter coming back one night. He was on a ledge about 7' above us and if it wasn't for another member getting charged by a herd of pigs and hopping in his 4 wheeler to come tell us about it. We could have been dinner.[/

Uhhhmmm, Wow....
                            Last edited by Mud Shark; 07-16-2013, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Sure there are big cats. Just not black panthers. Unless they hang with Bigfoot...

Comment

Originally posted by EastTXHunter View Post
                                Man, I hate to say it but until one defecates in their bed or drags off a prized hunting dog, most of these guys will never believe in the existence...I believe in the big cats...definitely bigger than bob cats...
                                I think I'd be in big trouble if the elusive black panther deficates in my bed. Said panther would not be the only deficator at that point...

Comment

Working...
                                X