6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 Grendel?

OK So it's been a long build, but I'm finally gonna finish my 6.5 Grendel. I've got a cerakoted FDE upper and lower, both stripped. My LPK, Magpul PRS stock in FDE, CMC trigger will be delivered next week. Midwest industries m-lok 15" rail FDE.

Few questions.

1. Whos makes the best barrel for the 6.5? Would like to go at least 20" and have a threaded end to attach a suppressor. Would prefer stainless. Also with a full FDE gun would a black or FDE barrel look better? I'll post pictures once I build the lower (I'll attach the hand guard for reference too.)

2. What scope/mount should I go with? Probably will go leupold. Thinking of a VX3i long range 8.5-25x50. Would like to eventually use the gun for long range shooting. I would think I'd need a 20MOA base with this scope. If I went with a 34mm VX6 I could forego the 20moa base, but not sure I want a 34mm tube.

3. Where the heck can I shoot 1000yds in Dallas?

Some of the most accurate barrels I know of for he Grendel are from Lilja, Brux and Bartlein (SP) Precision firearms is also known for great shooting Grendels. I do not think you would go wrong with any of those. There are 2 bolts used with the Grendel but only one Is to the SAAMI Spec and it has a .136 recess, make sure your barrel and bolt are matched. If you get the barrel bolt package from PF they will be matched correctly for headspace.

Scope depends lot on use. I have seen mirage so bad in Texas that an 8X scope is about useless for me I would not go higher than 6x on the low end. My longer range rigs wear 2.5-15 for that reason and sometimes I hunt with those at close ranges and the large field of view helps. That is the power range on the Grendel in my Avatar, though I have only taken it to 600 yards the rig is up to 1k if I want and might do this winter. The little Bushnell 3-21 tactical is a lot of scope for the $

For a place to shoot 1k there are none in Dallas but there are 2 or 3 within an hour and half of Dallas, and more that go to 7 or 800 yards. One of the 800 yard ranges is owned by a friend and he offers a day of instruction on his range one on one and you will leave a better shooter with dope for your rifle and ammo out to 800. A 700 yard range is at Poetry Texas.

Comment

Satern and Walter Lothar also make excellent Grendel barrels

X10,000 on headspacing. Get bolt with the barrel.

Comment

Alexander Arms barrel and bolt has been a 1/2" shooter for me from the get go...

Comment

My 20" shilen is 3/4" or better.

Comment

Black Hole weaponry is another good choice but if you have the coin go with one of the ones KMON mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

To bad you’re in Dallas, I have a 1k yes range here in Katy, the range is in Fulshear. I’m working on the same project myself, I want the 20-22” barrel and haven’t decided which barrel to buy either, keep posting your progress, I’ll be following.

Comment

Underground Tactical 18" light contour has 5R riflng. They guarantee sub MOA.. mine is

Comment

Thinking of the Lilja right now. How much more velocity can I get out of a 24 vs a 20? Leaning towards the 20 because it’s already gonna be a long mother with the can on the end.

Thanks for all the info

Comment

Etts in mypearl

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                      Thinking of the Lilja right now. How much more velocity can I get out of a 24 vs a 20? Leaning towards the 20 because it’s already gonna be a long mother with the can on the end.

Thanks for all the info

Comment

So it looks like no real reason to go with a 24" barrel.

Y'all think larue is the go to for scope mounts? I'v got a few on other guns and have had no bad luck, but I've also never shot very far. Does large make a 20MOA mount?

Comment

Brownell's has Some Saturn barrels, that have 5R rifling, stainless, threaded muzzle. I think with either a 18" or a 24" barrel. They come with a bolt, so the two parts should already have the head spacing adjusted correctly. I am putting together a 6.5 Grendel, after looking around a lot. I have settled on the longer of those two barrels. I don't want the threaded muzzle, so that will get machined off, the barrel will probably wind up being a 22". I think the chambering is a Grendel II chambering. Which the Grendel II and the LBC are two of the better 6.5 Grendel chamberings.

Comment

I used a Lilja 20” with Maxim BCG, when I built mine. Totally happy with no regrets. It’s super light and my go to ‘black gun’.

Comment

So I just ordered a Lilja barrel. Also order a JP industries adj. gas block and a Maxim BCG.

So now I'm down to 2 questions. FDE or black on the barrel?

What optic?

Comment

Working...
                              X