Brush hog help. (PTO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brush hog help. (PTO)

Like title says I need help figuring out what is wrong with our mower, it is a Land Pride RCR 1872. I have been putting it to work the last few days mowing all the roads on our property. Today I noticed the pto box ( I guess that is what you call it) loose rattling around a little... i got underneath and tightened it down and fired her back up, but when I turned the mower back on the blades were spinning slowly and then go fast and then back to going slow again. I also noticed a little oil coming from the pto box ( I have pictures of this, but it won't let me load them. Any ideas of what the problem is?

Do you have a slip clutch?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
      Do you have a slip clutch?

Honestly I have no idea. I would assume it has a shear bolt... ain't a slip clutch made for bigger machinery? The mower is only 6ft wide

Comment

I have a 6' er with a slip clutch drive shaft.
        When the blades are slowing/speeding is the tractor changing rpm or is it constant?

Comment

Make sure the box is filled with gear oil. I pretty sure it has a slip clutch. If the clutch is stuck then you might have to put in a new sear pin.
          I have the same one and recently replaced my entire PTO shaft

Comment

You don't slip your slip clutch once a year? See here on how to slip your slip clutch. It prevents you from having issues should your slip clutch be seized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
            I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
            Make sure the box is filled with gear oil. I pretty sure it has a slip clutch. If the clutch is stuck then you might have to put in a new sear pin.
            I have the same one and recently replaced my entire PTO shaft
            Last edited by zr2chevy22; 09-04-2017, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Pull the cover off the top if the gear box and make sure the shear key on the gear thats on top is still in one piece. Being a 18 series cutter you should have a slip clutch, you may have a lower seal leaking its nit a hard fix just getting the stump jumper off can be a pain.

Comment

Sounds like you need to tighten clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                  I have a 6' er with a slip clutch drive shaft.
                  When the blades are slowing/speeding is the tractor changing rpm or is it constant?

The rpms are constant.

Comment

I'll head back out there in a few and take a look at all the suggestions. Thanks. If it is a messed up slip clutch would that make the tractor blades go slow and then faster like it's going to cut and slow back down again? It's like the gear box is spinning the blades, but the blades don't go. If that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Laner7 View Post
                      I'll head back out there in a few and take a look at all the suggestions. Thanks. If it is a messed up slip clutch would that make the tractor blades go slow and then faster like it's going to cut and slow back down again? It's like the gear box is spinning the blades, but the blades don't go. If that makes sense.
                      Pull that top cover and check the top gear key to see if its cut. I have had slip clutches rust up and not slip like there supposed to

Comment

Replied to pm

Comment

Working...
                        X