No announcement yet.

Guns you don't use.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They can be some of the best investments made & beat the stock market...wish I could go back in time with a wad of $$$$.

Comment

I bought a Ruger .22 a few years ago, new in box. The ones I'd used before we're good guns. This one had a longer barrel and had the fake stainless steel finish/coating on it. I tried and tried it with different brand shells, never did shoot right and jammed all the time, unlike others I had used.
      Never did like it and I sold it, got most of my money back and invested it in a .45 pistol. Best move I ever made. Good riddance to that thing.

Comment

I have a nice lever action Marlin Model 39a that I haven't shot in about 20 years.

Comment

I have guns that I don’t use, but not because they’re collectible. For example, I have a Colt 1911 that I bought 5 years ago and I’ve put exactly 50 rounds through it. It just sits in the safe. On the other hand, I hunt with my most expensive rifle every year. It’s a full blown custom by Ralf Martini.

Comment

Great thread okrattler! I have sold one gun and traded one recently for my first bow. The one I sold was the biggest POS sks, it a shot and functioned perfect but it was rattly, inaccurate and I just didn't like it. Collectors firearms loved it and gave me double what I paid. I have a safe full of guns I just couldn't see myself getting rid of, well i might have 1 or 2 I'd trade for an upgrade. With that being said.. I love vintage 60s, 70s and 80s smith revolvers if you guys have one not getting used in the safe!!! Let me know!

Comment

I’m in the same boat with the folks that don’t like to have stuff that doesn’t get used. I’ve tried buying an extra gun and just end up selling it because I can’t justify it. I have 1 gun for each area that will pretty much suit all the needs i’ll ever need.

- Belgian Browning A5 20 gauge
              - Franchi Affinity 12 gauge
              - Ruger 10/22
              - Tikka .243
              - Tikka 7mm-08
              - Marlin 30-30
              - CVA Accura Muzzleloader
              - CZ P-01 9mm

I’ll never NEED anything else, therefore I doubt I’ll ever be able to justify buying anymore. The only thing I could say I would like and don’t have is a nice OU shotgun for upland birds. That would probably conplete my gun collection. I do find myself fantasy shopping alot and the thoughts of “what if” cross my mind. Then I just think about all the other guns I’ve bought over the years and then ended up selling them after I realized I didn’t need them.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                I think its a ligit option... only question is gona be barrell life, hoping they built it with a longer case where the case protects the throat a bit.

That said they are claiming suppersonic to 1300 yards... with a 90 grain pill... thats sweeet

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                That is a sweet round. I've searched and searched for a .221 Fireball for a while now,bought reloading dies off of here and got bullets,powder,brass and everything and they stopped making the gun I wanted. So I decided to buy a rifle and have it chambered for it. It'll be an all around predator gun for saving fur since I sell pelts during the Winter and occasionally hunt grey foxes in Texas so it'll be easy enough on them that I won't be picking up pieces of foxes to sew together. That's the plan as of now anyways.

Having said that I would be surprised if I don't end up with a .224 Valkyrie too one of these days because I probably will. I like fast cartridges and varmint rifles a lot and I think it would be an awesome round for both coyotes and hogs.

Comment

I grew up under the motto that "you don't sell guns, you buy guns". I don't have an outlandish amount of them, but most do not ever get used - especially since i started bow hunting again a few years back. Shotguns get the most work. SBE2 for waterfowl, citori for clays and dove and upland. Still have my old 870 that I bought in college though. It's a good back up gun for rough work or a loaner for out of town guests. After that it drops off. 1022, never shoot it. 17, won it at a clay shoot. Kept thinking I would hunt predators but haven't. 30/30 just got handed down to me. Pretty excited about packing it around some this fall. Same gun I toted around as a kid. Iron sights, Should be good for jump shooting deer/hogs. Got some hornady ammo for it but havent sent any down range yet. Got an ar15 a couple years ago when I bought into The panic. It was fun to tinker with but too **** heavy to pack around hunting. The one I carry the most is an old Ruger M77 mark2 in 7mag. I've had it for 26 years now. I keep thinking that I want a new gun but I've been struggling to find a caliber that I like better than the 7. Big enough for anything in North America, and super flat. Hornady 165gr ammo with 0 = 330yds, gives me point blank out to 400yds on any big game animal. No need to range and I'm probably never going to take a shot past 400 anyway. And, it's a tack driver, at least for 3 rounds. SS heats up quick, but 3 shots is plenty for hunting. And, even though it's old as dirt, it comes in at 8lbs (with scope). Just having trouble finding a gun that i like enough to leave it in the closet. Maybe a 65CM or one of those 300 Ultras, but just not convinced. Either way, I know I'll never sell the 7....

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Comment

I once sold an amazing Winchester 22-250 to pay daycare one month when I was single father. The guy that owns it says it’s the best shooting gun he owns. I only have three that I will never sell... my wingmaster I got when I was 15, my pre ‘64 Winchester 30-30 I got when I was 12 and a custom .220 Swift my aunt gave me as a college graduation gift. All the others I own I love but have no sentimental value. I don’t think I’ll sell them, I’ll just add to the collection and pass Emma on to my kids.

Comment

Never sold a gun and never plan to sell one.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                        Never sold a gun and never plan to sell one.
                        I always felt the same way. It's odd I even started this thread to begin with. But I realized the other day I had never shot a coyote with my Remington 887 until the other day. That was my intended use for that gun when I got it like....8 years ago maybe?

That particular model has been discontinued. You can't buy different aftermarket parts for it like you can the 870 and it does try to double feed every once in a while which I believe was a common problem those guns had. What I mean is when you kick a shell out it will sometimes kick two out of the magazine tube and jam the gun. I've shot skunks and prairie dogs with it but it's really nothing special. Cool looking for sure but it's not reliable enough to use as a serious predator or hog hunting shotgun. I don't like taking a gun out to hunt with if it's not 100% reliable which sadly it is not. It'll work most of the time but you can bet that one time I'd have two coyotes in front of me or a group of hogs it'd drop one,double feed on me and best believe I'd be cussin like a sailor. It can function right a thousand times when I'm shooting at skunks but that one time a coyote gets away because it didn't....I'm gonna be....not happy.

But that could be avoided if I were to sell it.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 10-20-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                          Great thread okrattler! I have sold one gun and traded one recently for my first bow. The one I sold was the biggest POS sks, it a shot and functioned perfect but it was rattly, inaccurate and I just didn't like it. Collectors firearms loved it and gave me double what I paid. I have a safe full of guns I just couldn't see myself getting rid of, well i might have 1 or 2 I'd trade for an upgrade. With that being said.. I love vintage 60s, 70s and 80s smith revolvers if you guys have one not getting used in the safe!!! Let me know!
                          The only SKS I've ever shot was very accurate but I've heard more about inaccurate ones than the other way around. Either way if I knew back then what I know now I'd have bought a bunch of AK's and SKS's. They used to be cheap but not anymore. I always thought they were ugly rifles but if a guy had a whole safe full of them from back before prices were sky high there'd be a lot of extra cash to be had

Comment

If I don't shoot a gun I see no reason to keep it (I am not a collector). The only gun I have kept even though I never shoot it is an H&R .410 single shot I got when I was 12 in 1983. My mom bought it for me and she passed away a couple of years after she gave it to me. So that one I will have as long as I am still kicking.

Comment

I am a accumulator and collector. Sold ONLY one gun in my 53 years. A cheap MAK90 that blew up on the range and I sold it in pieces in a bag. I have had dreams about guns over night that I saw at gun shows and I went back the next day to get. A new all matching#'s Russian CCCP SKS in the late 80's, never shot it, cleaned off cosmoline , in safe and in 94 a Win 94AE Trapper in 44mag. Centennial edition 1894-1994 engraved on receiver. I don't even work the action on it. Just gush over it while staring at it
                              Now I have given away a Rossi pump .22 I didn't shoot. It came with another gun in sale.
                              I am at the point the point where I had to buy another safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                                I am a accumulator and collector. Sold ONLY one gun in my 53 years. A cheap MAK90 that blew up on the range and I sold it in pieces in a bag. I have had dreams about guns over night that I saw at gun shows and I went back the next day to get. A new all matching#'s Russian CCCP SKS in the late 80's, never shot it, cleaned off cosmoline , in safe and in 94 a Win 94AE Trapper in 44mag. Centennial edition 1894-1994 engraved on receiver. I don't even work the action on it. Just gush over it while staring at it
                                Now I have given away a Rossi pump .22 I didn't shoot. It came with another gun in sale.
                                I am at the point the point where I had to buy another safe.
                                I grew up around guys that bought guns but didn't sell any. That's probably why I'm the same way. Monkey see,monkey do.

My dad had a decent collection of older guns. Some if not most were guns he got from his dad. His ex-wife had a yard sale after he made her mad one day and she sold them all while he was at work. Hopefully that stuck with me too and I have enough sense to learn from his mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X