Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did you let your kid pull his/her first trigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When did you let your kid pull his/her first trigger?

I assume it was a 22LR.

Handgun or rifle?

Mine aren't ready yet.

My 3 year old is terrified at the site of long guns and hates loud booms (even fireworks that are miles away).

My first two were 8 & 9. I waited until they showed and interest. The oldest daughter was handgun. She still won't shoot the boom stick. My son is s long gun guy. Doesn't care for handguns

Comment

My son was 4 and his little sister was almost 3 with a .22LR Youth Henry Repeating Arms open sighted rifle. I pretty much had to aim it and help them shoulder it. They blew up a 2 litter bottle of an off brand name soda at 35 yards and have been hooked ever since. Thank You Dr. Bepper!

For what it's worth, I waited until they asked me to shoot. I dint force it. Also, when ever we are hunting or shooting, I make sure they are wearing ear plugs even if they are standing way back from the shooting line.

If you are concerned about noise, try using subsonsic .22 LR ammo. It's way quieter even without a Suppressor. That being said, if you have the money and the patience of a grasshopper, you could get a .22 Suppressor and try the subsonic ammo. All you would here is the click of the firing pin. Good luck and don't push it. Your kid will come around.

Comment

Both my kids grew up around daily shooting. Both shooting a 22 chipmunk at 3. Oldest had a single shot 223 at 4yrs old he could shoot inch groups at 50yards with. Youngest was about 6 before he could actually shoot well. Both teenagers. I can't see good enough to shoot with my youngest now. He shoots spent 22 casings at 50 ft with his target 22. I will warn you. If they start shooting for sport it gets crazy expensive. We have a used 22lr and I think I paid $2k for it

Comment

Started shooting 22LR around 4-5 years old & then let oldest try shooting a youth 243 around 6-7 years old & did fine bc I didn't push them to hard.
          My FIL advised me to take my sweet time, keep it fun & stop at the moment they get bored or frustrated.
          Good luck

Comment

5 years old....
            .410 shotgun

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

5. 22lr

Comment

4 but almost 5 with a 22.

Comment

Trophy7 was around 5 when he was shooting my old Benjamin 22 cal petter rifle. Started shooting the 410 sized side around 7.

Comment

my son was 3 with a 22 rifle, now at 23 he`s an avid shooter of everything from sport shooting to every kind of hunting avalible to him . very proud to have started him as young as I did. some may disagree but that's why we live in a free country THUS FAR .

Comment

4 and it was a savage rascal 22.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ DUPLECHAIN View Post
                        4 and it was a savage rascal 22.
                        Same here. Then dove with a single .410 his Papa got him.

Comment

All my children started shooting at a young age. 6-8 years of age.
                          Abigail started when she was 8, took a hog last year at age 10

Comment

Daughter started at 4 or 5. Took her first deer at 6 with a 243. She has shot everything I have from a 22 revolver to a 44 mag in pistol. 22 to 45-70 in rifle. She is 19 now and has a gun for each year.
                            She did say the 45-70 shook her teeth.

Comment

5. BB, 22, 22 mag, .222 then .243.
                              All scoped
                              Both son and daughter are excellent shots and old killers

Comment

Working...
                              X