Ford Replacement Keys are EXPENSIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Replacement Keys are EXPENSIVE

Has anyone gone through the hassle of getting a replacement key on a newer Ford?
    I recently purchased a 2015 Ford Focus SE that will be for my son when he is ready. The car only came with a single 4 button key. It will be the case with my son as it was with me about misplacing things in my teenage years and I wanted another key or two.
    Did a quick search online and it stated that you had to visit a Ford dealership. I just left there and was shocked that a 4 button key was ~$180 plus $120 programming!!!! A manual key (without buttons) was $99 plus $120 programming!

Has anyone found a different option?
    Last edited by DRettele; 07-18-2017, 01:52 PM.

Try a locksmith. Some of them will have the machine to program a new key.

Another option is to buy two new keys off eBay, about $20 each, and have them cut then program the door looks yourself. (Google how to do this.) The new keys won't have a their transponder programmed to your car. So take the original key with the working transponder and zip tie and hide it in or near the steering column. This will trick the system into thing the key with the transponder is turning the ignition. Of course this also disables the anti theft transponder system all together so use at your own risk.....

Comment

Thanks! I'll look into this. Not too worried about the anti theft transponder system as this is a very unsexy Ford Focus SE hatchback

Comment

Try this place. I have some friends that have purchased from them. Not sure how it all works though

Comment

Key/Remote

Try this place. I have some friends that have purchased from them and liked them. I have never used them personally so can't tell you any details

Comment

Went thru the same thing with wife's Equinox---bought the keys off Amazon, went to the Key Depot in New Braunfels and they cut/programmed the new keys---2 for less than what one new OEM key from the Chevy dealer cost.

Comment

I hear a screwdriver works just fine.

Comment

I have a 2013 Ford C-Max. For the life of me I don't know where I lost my key fob, and I bit the bullet and had the dealership "cut" me a new one. It only cost about $250.00 plus tax. The customer service rep at the Ford dealership told me one for a Ford 350 was around $750.00.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Locksmith for sure. My Dodge dealership wanted $400 for a key or something like that. The locksmith made one for $150.

Comment

Bought a second key for my 2011 F150 and the full remote was just under $200. I bought just a key for just under $100. Took them about 20 minutes to down load the data from the truck and onto the key. Went to a locksmith

Comment

A1-Locksmith did a great job on my daughter's 2011 F150 for about half what the dealer wanted.

Comment

Working...
                      X