Aerate your septic tank - Does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aerate your septic tank - Does it work?

Last week I had my septic tank pumped and cleaned because I'm getting pooling at the end of my drain line. It was fine until the tank filled back up but after nightly showers there is standing water again. It's normally soaked up by morning but the ground is saturated. If I get one of those systems to aerate by tank will it help? Has anyone every used a system like that that did any good?

I'm trying to get this issue fixed without spending a ton of money.

I don't think that will be the solution for you. Call a couple Septic guys to get their thoughts, but it sounds like you have super saturated ground and too much water at the moment.

Aeration without the sprinklers to spray on the ground won't reduce the amount of liquid you have.

Comment

Originally posted by stoic View Post
      I don't think that will be the solution for you. Call a couple Septic guys to get their thoughts, but it sounds like you have super saturated ground and too much water at the moment.

Aeration without the sprinklers to spray on the ground won't reduce the amount of liquid you have.
      This. Aeration will do nothing for your situation. You have other problems.

Comment

Aerobic septic system will solve the problem. It's not cheap though.

Comment

The more I read it looks like it will not work on my system, I have a gravity system. It could be as simple as the ground is super saturated but it' snit happened before. That's what I don't understand. I did have a leaky bathtub but fix that the day I had the tank pumped. Unless the ground just hasn't recovered from that, I don't know.

Comment

Check for other leaks. Could still be saturated but a leaking commode will cause it also.

If your on a public water system, go out the the meter and watch the needle. Make sure no one turns on the water. If it moves at all you have a leak.

Comment

I checked both toilets by putting food coloring in the tanks and after an hour there was no sign of leaks. I will check the meter tomorrow, I hadn't thought of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

you need a submersible pump, with a high level switch tied into it. (aerobic system). It will pump the level down to a certain point then turn off. I think you do need an aerator as well, it saves your pump.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
                  you need a submersible pump, with a high level switch tied into it. (aerobic system). It will pump the level down to a certain point then turn off. I think you do need an aerator as well, it saves your pump.
                  I don't think you can force raw sewage out into a saturated drain field legally using an existing non aerobic septic system. It is a health hazard.

An aerobic system treats the sewage before it's pumped out of the sprinklers.

Comment

You probably need to run more lateral lines.....whatever you do......brace for impact!

Comment

You need time and warm weather. Get you leaks fixed and don't wash clothes for a week. Let the ground have time to dry out.

Comment

My water is not treated. it goes from an aeration tank to an overflow where it's pumped

Comment

How old is the system? Have you had it pumped every 4-5 years? How big is the tank? Does it have a divider or is it a single chamber? How many people do you have using it? Does the washing machine dump into the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterSanders View Post
                            My water is not treated. it goes from an aeration tank to an overflow where it's pumped
                            Pumping straight into your field lines?

Some people do this but it sounds like his field lines are already full.

Op, unless your system never recovered form the original oversaturation, you have a partially blocked field line.

Not sure where your located but I know a that puts in aerobics for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by STICKIT View Post
                              How old is the system? Have you had it pumped every 4-5 years? How big is the tank? Does it have a divider or is it a single chamber? How many people do you have using it? Does the washing machine dump into the tank?

The tank is old but the drain line was replaced probably 15 years ago I guess, maybe longer. From 2007 until 2013 the house was vacant and I don't know when it was pumped before that. I've been here 3.5 years and just had it done. The tank is a single 500 gallon take that only services the bathrooms. It's also a single chamber tank and we have 6 people using it. Never had an issue until now. The wet spot is 20-25 feet from the end of the line. I'm beginning the just feel like the ground to too wet. What I've read on the whole biomat thing is that when that happens the ground is black and slimy. My spot is just soft and muddy from when I ran my mower over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X