Which ram tastes the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which ram tastes the best?

I have killed a couple rams and ended up using them for coyote bait because people always say they taste horrible.

Well, I hate not eating something I kill so I am wondering if one ram tastes better than another ram. I am looking at hunting a merino ram specifically. I figure they have to make decent sausage, jerky etc.

They all make good sausage and jerky. I don't like em too much for steak meat though

Comment

I get summer sausage, link sausage and dried sausage out of them. Also, I like the hind quarters for crock pot recipes.

As far as the exotic rams, dall, hawaiian, corsican etc...are all the same.

Comment

Anybody make tamales out of them?
        Never shot or eaten one and curious

Comment

I've enjoyed the meat from the rams that my family has shot. We've had Texas Dall, Corsican, and Black Hawaiian.

My buddy shot a Merino, and it was very greasy meat. By far the worse meat I've had from a ram.

Comment

Prior to taking my daughter on a Aoudad hunt I asked if the meat was good to eat. The guy told me if I harvest one in West Texas the meat is good, in the hill country the meat does not taste as good and being that this is a game ranch the meat is awesome. He was right about coming off the game ranch it was delicious.

Comment

its best in a pressure cooker with come curry served over white rice!

Comment

The best I have had was a merino that had been grass fed on a ranch for a year before I hunted him. A pair had been released and only 1 shot so mine just roamed around getting fat.
                For the most part, the younger the better. (Quotable Moment!)

Comment

Pure mouflon and red sheep have a distinct difference in flavor compared to the typical rams hunted (Corsican, dall, black Hawaiian, etc). Given the choice, I 'd take a mouflon any day over the others but the rest are just as good

Aoudad is better younger but can be good up to a certain point. The old rams will have to be in sausage and other processed meats unfortunately, due to the muscle toughness.

Cooking-either carne adovada, in the smoker, or crockpot has been great. Grilled medium rare works for the backstraps and I have made guisado with the round steaks.

Those that state that exotic sheep aren't good to eat are either those that lack any knowledge in the kitchen or are the type that want flavorless meat. What a lot of those folks don't understand is you can't cook sheep like you would beef or anything else. There are many countries in the world where sheep are consumed more than any other livestock. It can be as simple as looking up a recipe from another culture and modifying as you go.

The trick-you can't get rid of the taste...you simply have to go with it But we hunt for the meat and its unique taste, regardless of what it is we hunt. I can't wrap my mind around those that want to soak and ice the taste of deer out of their venison. I tried it to see what the hype was...there was no hype, just bland meat.

For sheep to work for your palate, you have to enjoy bold and exotic flavors. If you shy away from new things and weird foods, you are setting yourself up for failure from the very get-go. The more adventurous you are in your culinary life, the more you will be able to get out of a sheep kill.

Now bighorn....fuget 'bout it! Bighorn meat is the meal of the Gods!
                  Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 01-31-2016, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                    Anybody make tamales out of them?
                    Red only...it was good! I don't think green would go with the flavor but go for it

Comment

I like goat better than sheep, just don't like mutton. Ground into sausage it's ok. Goat slow cooked on the smoker isn't bad at all.

Comment

Cool

Comment

Working...
                        X