Cows Head Cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cows Head Cooking?

I would like to get some pointers on cooking a cows head in the ground.

How deep should the hole be? How much dirt on top?
    Etc

Call me when you have time...

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Comment

I will call you this week.
      Thank you.

Comment

Used to do them in a couple of paper sacks in a smoker but now you have to use brown wrapping paper. Been a few years for me.

Comment

Im curious on the details as well, been wanting to try this one day.

Comment

Special tools: Water smoker or pit barbecue
            Preparation time: About 10 minutes
            Cooking time: About 8 to 10 hours
            Yield: At least 12 servings

1 medium beef head, about 15 to 20 pounds, thawed
            1 white onion, halved
            2 Anaheim Chili peppers, core, stems and seeds removed
            Aluminum foil; see text
            5 pound hickory chunks, soaked
            Corn tortillas, various garnishes; see text

At least 4 days before you plan to start cooking, order the cabeza, as unless you live in Texas, a whole cow's head mind You should also start the wood chunks soaking, as the more waterlogged they are, the more smoke they'll produce. I prefer hickory, but mesquite or oak will work just fine.

Fire up your smoker or your barbecue pit. While pit is warming up, remove the tongue from the cabeza, as leaving it in will implant a weird taste. It will be cooked separately. Place chili peppers and onion halves into cavities in the cabeza, then wrap the cabeza in several layers of aluminum foil. Wrap tongue in foil. It doesn't matter how well you seal the aluminum foil, as the smoke will penetrate and implant the desired smoky flavor.

Place wrapped packages in smoker or barbecue pit and smoke over low heat, about 160 degrees for 8 to 10 hours, adding hickory chunks as needed. I smoked my 16-pound cabeza and the separate tongue package for 9 1/2 hours and went through 5 pounds of waterlogged hickory chunks. I just "guess" when the meat is done, but I improve my odds by making a small hole in the foil and looking at the meat and smelling it. It should be a dark brown in color and the marbling should be golden brown.
            Last edited by Storm; 11-10-2016, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Hope this works for you.

Comment

Working...
              X