Mini DV or Hard Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini DV or Hard Drive?

My wife and I are looking at finally buying a camcorder from modern times. (Our old one still uses VHS tapes! ) I want something decent that I can use to edit movies, etc. In looking, there seem to be any number of recording formats available. Does anyone have any experience with the hard drive camcorders? I've looked at a couple that were 30gigs and around $600. This would give 7 hours of recording before having to be downloaded. I don't know if this would be a better way to go than mini dv. I've read a couple of reports that indicated the hard drive is very difficult to edit with due to the compression format used on them. As a raw rookie, difficult to edit is not what I need if that is true. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

And yes, Michael, I'm about to order the DVD now that I'm getting a camera!

I would go Mini DV, b/c with a hard drive you are going to have to at some point download that video or delete it. I like being able to record someting on a tape then just pop in a new one. Mini DVs are not that expensive.

Comment

Roger

Be careful with some of the hard drive formats. The video will look good on the camera screen and maybe on your computer but when it is played back on a tv the quality suffers. The edges of a lot of objects become squared off and pixilated. I think it has gooten better but only on the more expensive hi-def hard drive cameras. Mini dv is still probably the best way to go

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did a bit more research last night and it agrees with your comments. Looks like hard drives are out. I'm leaning towards the mini dv now but my wife is interested in the dvd cameras so I have to research them a bit as well. Any thoughts on the cameras that record straight onto a dvd?

Comment

Mini-DV is my choice-in a few years-the hardrive model camera will be alot better and maybe cheaper..
          Last edited by Bowwiz; 12-19-2006, 12:47 AM. Reason: lak of typn skilz

Comment

Working...
          X