No announcement yet.

Renaming Austin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ As someone born and raised in Austin, I agree with them. The boom has destroyed it's character.

Comment

I don’t agree with the changing the name of the city. It does have a very diverse population but its still a great place to visit IMO. The surrounding areas speak for themselves in culture and beauty. Whether we like it or not progress is going to move forward and without progress cities and communities die a slow death. Changes are coming whether we like them or not.

Comment

We need a petition for a state wide vote to just move the capital to somewhere better suited anyway. Some place like College Station might work
        Or even Bugtussle or Cut and Shoot or Redtown. Only problem with Bugtussle is there ain't no traffic light. Let em have Austin. It ain't nuttin but a liberal cesspool anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
          I don’t agree with the changing the name of the city. It does have a very diverse population but its still a great place to visit IMO. The surrounding areas speak for themselves in culture and beauty. Whether we like it or not progress is going to move forward and without progress cities and communities die a slow death. Changes are coming whether we like them or not.
          If you consider it progress, then maybe we should kill all the cities on purpose, and start over.....

Comment

Funny thing about all those Californicators is our former governor went on a marketing binge to help the flow find their way here. Maybe Perry is an undercover agent working for the DNC.

Comment

There's not a big city in the state that hasn't been ruined by liberals from somewhere outside Texas. It's not just Austin.

Comment

They should move the capitol back to the Brazos, for this kind of buffoonery

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                  Changing history by denial or revision is somewhat scary. We should remember that in Orwell's 1984, the lead character's job was to rewrite history books to align with the latest status of the new regime. The problem with all of this denial is that the lessons of the past are forgotten. If nothing happened there is nothing to learn from.
                  Agreed

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                  ….. Sometimes it feels like y’all forget that this Awesome city is full of great people. Unfortunately 2 zip codes run the show. And the whole dang state sends there weirdos here to protest, make the news and then go home….
                  Unfortunately very true ....

Guess for me its little personal .. grew up here ... I remember having no lights on 183 between Burnet road and 620 .... only pasture land .. quite a while back. Austin area was a great place to grown up .. now not so much .. maybe I can't handle change ....

Comment

Nothing against the people but definitely against most of there morals & values.

Get the message out "Don't mess with TEXAS".
                    Last edited by BowCrazy; 07-30-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

To clarify my earlier post, the traffic reference was simply to indicate how long i’ve Been here. It’s the culture change I don’t like. Austin has always been strange/wierd but the really outlandish stuff small. It was alway California or maybe New York. Whats going on now is down right scary. Understand it’s in all major cities but still.

anyway ...

Comment

Gave up,just bought a house 40 miles west of here, they can have it. BYE could tell lots of stories about the demise, but they ain't politically correct.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                          Well put, Stoof.

Have been here over 25 years, and things have definitely changed. I still argue against trying to re-write and revise history -- both here locally and throughout the nation. This is not strictly an Austin issue. Here's an idea: instead of being "politically correct", how about trying to just be "historically correct"?
                          I keep seeing how changing a name is somehow re-writing history.

How is that re-writing history? The history doesnt change based on the name.

Comment

Did no one read the "social engineering" comment in the article?

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post

Austin was a good guy/hero that why we named the city after him. Now he is a bad guy /racist thats why we took changed the name. The mans historical image sure is being re-written.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post

If you don't grasp "re-writing" try re-interpreting history. By saying the city should not be named for Stephen F. Austin, the basis for the move is because a person previously deemed a hero and worthy of being honored for founding the city now has been re-interpreted as a villain, unworthy of such an honor. Whether or not he may have owned slaves does not change the fact that the city named Austin would not be here without his efforts. To deny this much larger fact and instead vilify him over the slave issue qualifies as re-writing history.

Comment

Working...
                                X