Robert E. Lee High School offensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    When slavery comes up I wish 2 facts would be stated on a regular basis. #1, Africans enslaved the black man and sold him off to the slave traders. #2, The first American slave owner was a black man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    And slaves were all colors, not just black or of African descent.

Comment

No dog in the fight but I did live in Tyler for about 3 years back in the 90's. I know both schools pretty well. JT on the North side and REL on the loop! But YES, my school name was changed while I was in school. Not because of slave holders but because one bigger school was built. The community fought over which school name to keep. Neither won!!! Brand new school with a new name …………….West St. John Rams!!! Still winning STATE titles and sending kids to universities all over the country.....business a usual.
      Moral: Some fights really don't matter if the kids are getting educated!

Comment

Would you expect surviving Jews and their children in Germany to attend Hitler HS or walk by statues of Gestapo soldiers? I once heard a man make this anology and it completely changed my mind on this issue. I am not personally offended by statues or building names, but i can't just poo-poo away someone else feeling tormented by confederate tributes
        That's the most ignorant thing I've read on this site.

There is no one alive who suffered under slavery, no one, they're all dead. And for years people have been going to this particular high school with no issues at all until some liberal moron raises a stink and I for one am really tired of it.

Nope you'r analogy is worthless. Just as worthless as those who act all butt hurt about statues of Confederate Soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
          Folks,

The butthurt generation has hit the thriving metropolis of Tyler. An outsider that is not from Tyler, never attended the high school, never taught at the school, does not have kids that attend the high school started opposition to our high school name of Robert E. Lee. We all know who REL was, so I won't go into a history lesson.

Keep in mind that the other high school is named John Tyler High School, same person that the city of Tyler is named for.

Those wanting to change REL say it is because he was for slavery and was a Confederate. They won't swallow the fact that John Tyler also owned slaves. (hippocracy at it's finest).

REL was originally referred to as the Rebels. In 1968, it was changed to the Red Raiders. Now it's still named Robert E. Lee and says so on the sign but is now referred to as "Tyler Lee".

I (among the majority) are for NOT changing the name. It is part of our history. Robert E. Lee High School is part of MY history, class of '92

Both high school are about to undergo complete renovations. The cost of changing the name was not included in the budget. The estimated cost of changing BOTH names would be 1.8-2.1 Million dollars. Now, wouldn't that money better go to security at both schools?

I have called and emailed all school board members voicing my opinion on this. It was taken off the previous school board meeting agenda but was recently added to the upcoming agenda due to pressure from the "outsider" and a school board member's spouse.

Regardless of the name of the school, how would you feel if your high school were to be renamed? Would you feel that a part of your history was taken from you?

https://www.change.org/p/save-our-name-robert-e-lee
          I agree it should not be changed. But no i would not feel part of my history has changed. Things change.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            No dog in the fight but I did live in Tyler for about 3 years back in the 90's. I know both schools pretty well. JT on the North side and REL on the loop! But YES, my school name was changed while I was in school. Not because of slave holders but because one bigger school was built. The community fought over which school name to keep. Neither won!!! Brand new school with a new name …………….West St. John Rams!!! Still winning STATE titles and sending kids to universities all over the country.....business a usual.
            Of course it matters. Once we start giving in to these bull hockey demands then we are really done for.

Comment

This is really bad that these groups with money use the laws to twist things around and screwed up our way of life and they love it. Because they can. When will our judicial system wake up and send them all to hell. I do not agree wit the name changing of any schools because they were Confederate soldiers. This is our history, heritage and the American way. This has to stop, these are the same folks that took away prayer from schools, can't say merry Christmas at work, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                The Families are very much alive and well ...
                Sure they are but they haven't faced any atrocities that their ancestors faced. That's like saying well I'm Irish so everyone that treated me like #*~> in the late 19th century owes me so let's go out there erase history! People are too sensitive to these things that never directly effected them. Oh and btw, there was plenty of racism in the north and in the union ranks!

Comment

How about Mount Rushmore? Are they gonna stick some dynamite in Thomas Jefferson's nose just because he snuck off to the stable with his women slaves after his wife went to sleep? Nobody can say he didn't love his. That doesn't change the fact that he had them.

"Thomas,where are all of these children coming from? We only have women slaves."

I'm sure a conversation something similar to that happened in the Jefferson household at some point. Had to of....years later descendents of the Jefferson family moved on up to the East side. To a deluxe apartment in the sky. They finally got a piece of the pie. True story. Look it up.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 06-14-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

We screwed up way back, "we should have picked our on cotton".

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                      Your so funny, I bet they could change names to Martin Luther King and you would be happy, I see what you always do, double tongue.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Personally, no. I could care less about the name of my high school. I don't much live in the past when it comes to stuff like that. Sure I have some good memories of High School...

"All I'm saying is that if I ever start referring to these as the best years of my life - remind me to kill myself." - Randall 'Pink' Floyd

That being said, I hate it when people change stuff for contrived reasons.
                        This is not about high school memories or your favorite pot smoking movie. It is about erasing history. Get your head out of the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                          Those are individuals - they were not a representation of the entire group of Union forces.
                          Less than 1% of confederates owned slaves. Why do you associate confederacy with slavery. They were not a representation of the entire group of Confederate forces.

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                            This is not about high school memories or your favorite pot smoking movie. It is about erasing history. Get your head out of the sand.
                            For the record... I read his entire post and specifically answered the question he asked... go back and actually read the question.

And if you read my full response... I addressed the overreaching question as well.

So... lighten up.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
                              Once agaim, how does chMging a school name erase history??? Rewriting hidtory books erases history, not a high school name change. I guarantee you that the same folks that are for the name change abdolutely still want schools to teach about slavery and the confederacy. Otherwise they wouldn’t have anything to be mad about anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                                Once agaim, how does chMging a school name erase history??? Rewriting hidtory books erases history, not a high school name change. I guarantee you that the same folks that are for the name change abdolutely still want schools to teach about slavery and the confederacy. Otherwise they wouldn’t have anything to be mad about anymore.
                                What they teach is no longer accurate and the removal of historical names and symbols reflects that.

Comment

Working...
                                X