No announcement yet.

LBJ national grasslands 07-08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also is there a map on the internet of LBJ National Grasslands like the ones in the 07-08 Hunting Map Booklet that you get with the type2 license. Also what type of license is required here the AHP or the normal Super Combo with fishing and hunting on it?

Comment

Q/Strike if ya want a map the LBJ hq is on 287 North as you head out of Decatur.if your coming in on 380 its a 1/4 to a 1/2 mile on your right after ya get on 287.
      There are plenty of great spots to hunt, sorry I cant tell ya the unit numbers, I have lived here and hunted on the LBJ all my life but dont know the unit number, I have nicknames for all of them like the Daisy Taylor , the "cellar" an, Hubbards Lake and so on but I do know If I was gonna hunt, the Daisy Taylor which is west of Alvord it would be a good place to start.
      Also there are some hogs runnin around so thats a added shootin bonus.

Comment

I appreciate the feedback from prohound and pat, I was just really disappointed this weekend opening weekend of archery in alabama creek wma and there was just a bunch of squirrel hunters that ruined it all and supposdly there is about 20 or so huge bucks 8 points+ that where bought from indiana and brought to alabama creek wma. I really would like to get a hog right here at lake ray robters jan 1st they have hog season as well. Can yall tell me the exact Bag Limit and Season dates And Hunted Species? I hope maybe one of yall will be around this weekend I hope to make a saturday or sunday hunt/scout and since I only live 45 minutes away it should be nice to get up at 5:30am and be home 7:30 pm. Anyone tell me where the best camping spots are free or pay I wont be camping but I would like to know of some good stageing areas meet some of yall, and do yall recommend a stalk method or blind or tree stand. Down in alabama creek wma the best thing to use is tree stand but this is grasslands so I am wondering if ground blind and a stalk method is the best.

Comment

I was thinking a good place to start would be around Cottonwood Lake, because I dont see much area west of alvord for hunting there is a few strips of green on the online map but that is it. Any directions on how to get to the west location that you refered to as daisy taylor, you can shoot me an email to gauge46@msn.com with rough directions would be appreciated and thanks again.

Comment

Weekend 2 @ LBJ

Quickstrike, I'll be back out camping Thursday at Black Creek Lake which costs $2 a night, and I'll stay through the evening hunt on Sunday. I drive a 1971 VW Bus everywhere I need to go at LBJ. If ya see my bus, I ain't far away.
            If you are on 287 heading north, after you pass the Loop 380 turn off at the top of the hill, the LBJ headquarters are on the right hand side just past the FM 1810 turn to the left. The HQ office is on a hill on the right hand side of the road. Maps cost $9 now and will show you how to get to where you need to.
            10 miles further north on 287 is the sleepy little town of Alvord (pronounced Al-void),TX. Turn in thru the town and turn right across the railroad tracks and follow Old Decatur Road to Unit 36 on the left/north side of the road. 1/4 mile into the unit, across the 2nd creek and on up the hill I saw some awsome sign. I just haven't hunted it yet. Go ahead and set up a blind or pick one of the oaks and climb it and let me know how your hunt goes when you come visit me at my campsite afterwords; see map for directions. Hope this helps and doesn't screw Gavin up....Barn

Comment

I really appreciate it barn and I will stop by for sure I will be driveing my 2002 Chevy Camaro z28 35th anniversary because I will be on call in the woods my wife is due with our baby girl octorber 12th but I only live 30 minutes away if I had to I could get back quick in my camaro I hope the roads are pretty passable with any vehicle. Thanks for you help barn hope to tell ya some stories.

Comment

Hey fool4hunting if you want a good area to go hunting in let me know lots of elk and muledeer.

Comment

Hey guys, next time you're meeting to have a work day, or just hanging out around a campfire post up. I'd love to trade some info/stories!

Comment

Hey Quickstrike,

I'm all ears. Lets hear what you got.

Comment

Hey Qiuckstrike, went coonhuntin last night and swung by an got the unit number off the daisy taylor. Its unit 970, I would try and hunt the ridge on the south/west side my two cents, you may check it out and find a better spot but thats where I would start, good luck
                      Last edited by ProHound; 10-03-2007, 06:13 PM.

Comment

970????

Comment

My goof, the Forestry Service sign says 970 , the unit is #3. Not sure what the 970 stands for but there is a 970 sign there on the road before ya get to the big rock pile. UNIT #3

Comment

Hey fellas,

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers or anything, but do your own homework. I personally do not deer hunt at LBJ, but I do turkey hunt. The population(of hunters) has exploded in the last 4-5 years. I'm not worried about competition because I'm confident in my abilities to work harder, smarter, and walk further than everyone if need be. I am a little concerned in the fact that every time somebody sees a turkey or deer, they have to broadcast it like they've really done something. It's not a contest. I don't mind sharing a little info now and then, but please be discrete. I understand most of you guys take pride in hunting LBJ, and your efforts(work days, etc.) don't go unnoticed. In my opinion, offering free, unsolicited advice to just anyone seems like a bad idea to secure the future of the property you hunt and hold dearly to yourself. Everyone hunts public land for different reasons, whether it's the challenge or lack of funds, or convenience. With that being said, it is open to anyone(and I mean ANYONE), so you should really be careful who you offer advice to. I'm all for sharing hunting and the outdoors with anyone who wants to participate, but know who you're going to bed with. I've had guys set up within 30 yds(yes I said 30!) while duck hunting after I'd been set up for an hour already out there. They never knew I was there until it was light enough to see. There are some real IDIOTS out there. I'm sure everyone else could too(since that's part of it), but I could tell you so many ridiculous encounters out there that it makes you wonder. Once again, I'm not calling anyone out or trying to cause a scene. I'm just trying to protect the property that we all own and love to hunt. I'll probably run across some of you guys along the way. Good luck! I hope the suspension on that Camaro holds up on those washed out gravel roads. Good luck with the baby.

Comment

Is this sight on the World Wide Web?

Eradicator, your story and advice sounds very familiar . Good advice for all.

Comment

You know I have to agree. We can't just 'broadcast' it to everyone and half the battle and most of the fun is doing the research, the scouting, and the ankle express on your own.
                                I know I share ideas with others that I do know but haven't written it out for all to read and see. Well said.

Comment

Working...
                                X