Ranger Heat Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranger Heat Shield

With summer coming on I decided to install a heat shield on the seat of my Ranger 800XP. It's a 2010 and this model is known for heat issues. This DIY was not my idea, I found it on another forum.

I used a 2 sided radiant heat barrier that I bought at Lowes, some Loctite spray adhesive and some metal heat tape stuff that's made for duct work. We will be testing at River Run next weekend to see how it holds up. I also ordered a foot saver off eBay but I haven't received it yet. Lastly, as a precaution, I added a fire extinguisher to my ride. Y'all feel free to post up ideas for improvement so we can build it better!

After putting the seat on I can see some of the barrier but i can live with it if it works.

Looks good

Comment

I'm getting ready to do this to mine. You might also consider header wrap for the exhaust pipe from the engine to the muffler. I also snorkeled mine. It's amazing how much heat the belt exhaust directly under the drivers seat puts off.

Comment

maybe some across the front of the seat..from floor to seat bottom. Black paint for the silver cover up

Comment

You'll be glad you did it

I used a 3M backed foam tape then covered with duct tape (the real stuff that shines) it works!

Comment

Originally posted by RazorbackRanger View Post
            I'm getting ready to do this to mine. You might also consider header wrap for the exhaust pipe from the engine to the muffler. I also snorkeled mine. It's amazing how much heat the belt exhaust directly under the drivers seat puts off.

I considered the wrap but heard that stuff stinks real bad. We are going to River Run this weekend and I will see how well it works in warmer temps.

Comment

Interested to hear the results on this. Have the same model Ranger and know about the heat.

Comment

We've run about 2 tanks of gas through the ranger today and the heat shield worked great. I broke an axel on the front but that was the beers fault!!!

Comment

Cool. Need to do this then. Could feel the heat off mine for sure last weekend.

Comment

Good idea. They also sell a spray they call lizard skin. Its a automotive heat shield.

LizardSkin reduces heat and noise for your vehicle. LizardSkin Insulation is developed by Mascoat, leader in insulating coatings.

Comment

Awesome! Now I just need a ranger........

Comment

Neat idea. Just spray it with some paint.

Comment

Update:
                          After three trips to the ATV park the tape is starting to pull away from the seat. I'm going to research a little bit and find some stronger stuff that will keep it on there better. The shield works great, just gotta get the tape to stick better.

Comment

End of thread. Traded the Ranger in today.

Comment

Well, what did you replace it with?

Comment

Working...
                              X