August Hog Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Hog Down

The evening's plan was to spend a few quality hours with the wife, chasing hogs at the deer patch.
    A previous scouting trip revealed an active wallow with tremendous hog sign. I placed a feeder about 20 yards away from there, all within range of an existing ladder stand.
    My plan was to sit in the ladder stand, as it had plenty of room for two and outstanding lanes covering the wallow and corn. Once we arrived, I noticed that I had not specified foot wear for the wife and her idea was flip flops, so plan B. We drove up a utility corridor far enough to see most of the area, about 300 yards away. I gave the wife my binos, so she could observe if something showed. I started getting ready and she yelled - hogs! I had not even got my leafy suit on and the hunt was under way. I covered the distance quickly to 60 yards and then slowed to a snail's pace. There were a couple large sows, two or three good size boars and a bunch of little ones. I was stuck at 40 yards with hardly any cover and suddenly they all started moving my way.......straight for me. A huge sow came by at about 10 yards, but I wanted one of the boars. At 30 yards, I drew the EVO and steadied my pin, when all of the sudden the sow blew the whole thing up. Oddly enough, the boars did not stop running until completely out of site. What ever the sow said, it was very clear that they needed to vacate the area.
    Thinking the evening was done, I started looking at the sign and then noticed A large pig coming and several more behind it. I settled in some better cover this time and waited for my shot. It came quickly as the big sow circled down wind of the corn, yet right in front of me. I watched the muzzy dissapear into a slightly high and back double lung area. I then loaded up a second arrow as the rest of the bunch really did not know what happened. After about 10 minutes, they calmed down and started feeding right to me......and I mean right to me. Only 3 yards and some small oak brush separated us. The instant a small boar stepped out, I placed my 60 yard pin in front of the shoulder and let the muzzy fly. I watched it enter in front of the shoulder and exit from the far hip at about a 45* angle.
    So, within a 30 minute period or so, I had 2 hogs down, all within sight of the wife, as she watched play by play. Only bad thing is she is know wondering why my hunts take so long.
    Attached Files

Great write up,congrats on the pig.

Comment

Good times and good write up

Comment

Congrats!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Good job Jamey
            Im ready for some of that myself. Have corn/will travel

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Way to go.
                  That short hunt probably doesn't bring down the overall average very much.
                  KAP!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nice work out there

Comment

Job well done. Congratulations x2.

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
                            Only bad thing is she is know wondering why my hunts take so long.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X