should I act surprised?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

should I act surprised?

My BIL just spilled the beans that apparently my wife is planning a 50th Birthday party for me.

He obviously didn't know it was a secret so I can't blame him but my wife is going to be absolutely crushed because this is the first time she's tried to throw a party for me which is a really big deal for her to pull it off. (she is self conscious about never being able to surprise me.)

I'd lay the odds that word gets back to her that I know are about 50/50.

I really want my wife to enjoy this "victory" of FINALLY after almost 28 years of marriage managing to surprise me.

I'm really torn up (for her) over this.

Do I:
    Play stupid and act surprised and run the risk she finds out I know...
    or
    Lavish praise on her for the effort and end all pretense?

Act surprised until busted and the lavish praise.

Comment

That's a tough one.

I think you have to weigh the odds that she goes from 'crushed that you found out' to 'crushed that you found out and then angry with you for 'acting' surprised.'

Not sure about your Mrs., but mine would want to know that I know. I would mitigate with how grateful I was and how thoughtful the idea is. Maybe even give her time to change up the plans.

Also, totally would throw the BIL under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
        That's a tough one.

I think you have to weigh the odds that she goes from 'crushed that you found out' to 'crushed that you found out and then angry with you for 'acting' surprised.'

Not sure about your Mrs., but mine would want to know that I know. I would mitigate with how grateful I was and how thoughtful the idea is. Maybe even give her time to change up the plans.

Also, totally would throw the BIL under the bus.
        X2

Comment

Both suggestions hold merit. The dilemma deepens.

Comment

Play stupid.....absolutely nothing good comes out of your telling her you know. If she finds out you know, you are still a saint for trying to let her do her thing and least with my wife you would be. Win Win.

Comment

What chu talking about Willis?" .

Comment

Faint and poo your pants. It's the only way she'll buy it.

Comment

If mommas happy......................

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
                    Act surprised until busted and the lavish praise.
                    This for sure.

LWD

Comment

Art act surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Play stupid.....absolutely nothing good comes out of your telling her you know. If she finds out you know, you are still a saint for trying to let her do her thing and least with my wife you would be. Win Win.
                        I disagree. My wife would very hurt that I lied to her and pretended not to know. Nothing good comes from lying, ever. I would just tell her my BIL spilled the beans and go from there.

Comment

First, ^... snitches get stitches..

Second, It could be a ruse concocted by your wife to get you to expect a b-day party....when in reality it ain't happening.....

but yeh..lie... lie your *** off.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            I agree with this ^^^^
                            Half the fun for her will be all the planning and prep would be my guess.

Comment

In 28 years of marriage you have not figured out that regardless which option you choose that your still wrong? :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X