Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bow hunting jacket(cold weather)...what do y'all recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bow hunting jacket(cold weather)...what do y'all recommend?

I used to have a jacket/coat that I used for bowhunting when it got cold. It was quiet and not to bulky. Well, the zipper finally bit the dust and it is unusable.

This past weekend, it got cold...26 where I was at. I layered pretty good but was a little more bulky than I would have liked.

so...what do you guys recommend for a bowhunting cold weather jacket/coat ? I want something that is quiet(mandatory) and warm without the bulk(if such an animal exist).

At this point I am more concerned about bulk/warmth than camo pattern.

Don't really want to break the bank as I an a lowly state worker...

thanx,

I had to layer up bowhunting the refuge this past week, in for any answers someone has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry, no help on the jacket, but being on a place with not trees big enough to put up a tree or ladder stand, I hunt out of Maverick or Krivoman blinds and use a Mister Buddy heater! Works wonders!

Comment

First lite Sanctuary jacket.

Comment

Scent Blocker Alpha Pro fleece

Comment

A) nothing that you would use for duck hunting--too loud!

B) of late I've found that the cabela's wooltimate is AWESOME! quiet and comfy.

the ebay link is a good deal. I bought mine at cabela's from a clearance rack (pullover and pants) after Christmas 2014. Dude-if you can, get in the cabela's bargain cave on the 27th/28th of December, or mid January. You won't believe the mark downs!
            C) I've found that a jacket/shell with a windstopper/waterproof material is the ticket on top of several layers, rather than a bulky jacket. I'll put on 2 layers of under armour or some type of compression, plus a union suit (wool) and then non bulky pants and jacket --anything to block the wind.

I hear you loud and clear on the budget. So, I have been fortunate to have collected a lot of gear over many years, and most of it at big discounts, and good quality stuff.

I'm to the point where if I hunted the Bowzone in Canada for instance, all I would consider buying is a heater body suit (used), and maybe a better pair of boots...for the --15 type weather!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Sorry, no help on the jacket, but being on a place with not trees big enough to put up a tree or ladder stand, I hunt out of Maverick or Krivoman blinds and use a Mister Buddy heater! Works wonders!
              that would be nice...most of my hunting is on a tripod. Don't have a heater shelf on it

Comment

I hate jackets so I just layer a few shirts bottom layer being tight middle and then a shirt a couple siz3s to big so all in all its not to tight

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                  First lite Sanctuary jacket.
                  Originally posted by GW2210 View Post
                  Scent Blocker Alpha Pro fleece
                  are these good to about 25 degrees ?

Comment

I froze out last Friday evening bowhunting. Milwaukee sells a heated jacket and I have wondered how it would work. The jacket uses their 12v rechargeable batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                      are these good to about 25 degrees ?
                      For the Sanctuary jacket, you better hope its that cold.

Comment

The woodbury is the little brother to the first lite sanctuary jacket. First lite stuff isn’t cheap but it’s top of the line stuff. Woodbury or sanctuary both have shooters sleeves as well. Field &Stream at 1890 Ranch has the line.

Comment

Cabelas had their berber fleece stuff on sale just last month. Not sure if it’s still on sale, but I bought a jacket and pants and they are really warm. They also have a wind block layer built in. Since it’s fleece it’s also quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the Sitka incinerator bibs,jacket and gloves run them with a fanatic hoody and I’m warm as can be in very low temps - This gear is not for stalking in as you would melt. Incredible for long sits in very cold weather. For warm natured guys the fanatic series from Sitka is awesome as well !

Comment

Silk (manly variety), wool, fleece, windstopper fabric. That combo in as many fairly lightweight layers as needed. Hands and feet go first, so take care of them. Wool, insulated boots, Hot Hands, etc. Warm hat.

Comment

Working...
                              X