Investment Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment Opinions

I have a scenario in which I’m having a difficult time deciding what to do. I plan to seek help from a professional as well, but I know there are folks on here that deal with real estate investments.

So the scenario...

I will be part owner of a building which has been occupied by a government agency for quite some time. Due to the way it is split, I will own 1/2 of 1/3 of the building. The building has been paid off for a long time and leases out for a certain number per month. There are 4 individuals involved, all family. My first thought is, never sell real estate like that and take the mail box money. However, after deeper thought, I have considered selling my portion and using that to possibly get a better return in the future. If the numbers make a difference in your opinion, I will post. It’s not a ton of money either way, but if I sell out, it’s a decent little chunk that I believe would give me a better return if I invested it in real estate in which I’m the only owner.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Sleepy; 04-01-2018, 11:02 PM.

I don't own stuff I don't control, but that's just me.

Partners are usually more of a pain than they are worth.

Comment

Depends if you want income or growth.
      Since the building has been occupied for a while by a government entity, odds are it will stay occupied for quite some time.
      If you sell the interest in the building and invest it elsewhere, it may or may not make money, and then you no longer have the share in the building to fall back on.
      If it was me, I'd keep the interest and the income stream- if you think the building and/or the rent will appreciate in the future.
      Real estate doesn't always pay out big, but sounds to me like you have an ideal situation. Take the income you have from the building and invest it somewhere else. That way, even if you go for high growth (risky?), and it doesn't work out you still have the interest in the building and the income stream.

Comment

I suppose you could use your current 16.6% (1/2 of 1/3) ownership as collateral to secure a small biz loan that could be invested in the "other" opportunity. Hopefully the other opportunity is successful and you're able to pay off the loan. Then you have your cake and you get to eat it too.

Comment

Only ship that don't sail is a partnership. I'd sell my portion and go solo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
            I suppose you could use your current 16.6% (1/2 of 1/3) ownership as collateral to secure a small biz loan that could be invested in the "other" opportunity. Hopefully the other opportunity is successful and you're able to pay off the loan. Then you have your cake and you get to eat it too.
            My way of thinking if it ain't hurting you. Mailbox money can be used to finance your next venture. If not the money, the 16% is always collateral. It is great to have options......congratulations on winning!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
              I don't own stuff I don't control, but that's just me.

Partners are usually more of a pain than they are worth.
              This is my motto as well. Market is great. You have a tenant in place. Ring the register and go do something on your own.

Worst case scenerio is the market is not great and the others decide they need to sell, the tenant vacates the building, theres a big capital expenditure needed to retenant the building, etc. and you're just along for ride.

Comment

What you got now seems to be working. I like sure things.

Comment

If you sell what will your tax be?

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                    If you sell what will your tax be?
                    On the sale?

Comment

Yes. What would be your cost basis.

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                        Yes. What would be your cost basis.
                        I would have no taxes in this situation.

Comment

Keep it

Comment

Working...
                          X